Microphones ...

Anne Bowman
Anne Bowman
@anne-bowman
8 years ago
56 posts

Hmmm, the Snowball looks good too..... food for thought ...Thanks again, You're always very helpful...

updated by @anne-bowman: 02/22/16 04:03:41AM
Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
8 years ago
1,090 posts

I'll second Dusty's suggestion of the Blue Snowflake. I have not used it, but a friend has one and he really likes it. I use Blue microphones for our dulcimer club when we play out. They are very good. Here a like to the Snowflake: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Snowflake. 

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Anne Bowman
Anne Bowman
@anne-bowman
8 years ago
56 posts

Thanks for that info. i'll have a look....You are such a helpful lot...thumbsup

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
8 years ago
1,729 posts

Anne, I am not sure what "reasonably priced" means. I used a Blue Snowflake mic for a long time. It worked great with my PC.  I think it cost about $50 new, but you might be able to find it on Ebay for less than that.  A quick internet search showed me that the slightly larger Blue Snowball is now selling for about that same price.  

I also used a Samson Go Mic  which is a bit more versatile, since you can change the setting from unidirectional to omnidirectional (in case you want to record a group playing) as well a setting that dampens the sound a bit for when it is directly in front of you.  I think that retails for just under $40. Either of those choices will work a lot better than the mic built into your computer or webcam.  The Samson Go can clip onto the top of your monitor but it also comes with a little case. It is remarkably small for its recording power.  (I no longer use it for recording music, but I use it at work when we have to broadcast meetings over the internet. I just put it in the middle of the table and it picks up soft-spoken people 20 feet away.)

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie

updated by @dusty: 02/21/16 03:01:53AM
Anne Bowman
Anne Bowman
@anne-bowman
8 years ago
56 posts

Ant advice on a reasonably priced microphone that I can use with my Apple Mac to record nicely? The inbuilt is particularly good at removing the sounds of any sustain, and making things sound harsh...  Don't think it's all due to my playing...