Jan Potts
@jan-potts
10 years ago
400 posts

Ellen, we have drool bibs for that....

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." Henry Van Dyke
Ellen Rice
Ellen Rice
@ellen-rice
10 years ago
49 posts

It really is like shoes. One wouldn't wear snow boots on the tennis court -- or sandals out in the February slush. I had a chance to visit new dulcimer friends and had to remind myself of that commandment "Thou shalt not covet" as I saw their dulcimer collection. I don't think I left drool marks on the carpet . . .

Dana R. McCall
Dana R. McCall
@dana-r-mccall
10 years ago
168 posts

My dad had 9 siblings Rice's must of believed in large families! lol

Ellen Rice said:

Rice is my hubby's name - somewhere there's ancestor paperwork about a grandpa that says "Pell Rice had 12 children" -- always makes me think, "Hmm, and MRS Rice had nothing to do with that?"Smile.gif

But I'm glad to see that dulcimer collecting is in a healthy state . . .

Dana R. McCall said:

Hey Ellen I'm a Rice too! My maiden name

Ellen Rice
Ellen Rice
@ellen-rice
10 years ago
49 posts

Rice is my hubby's name - somewhere there's ancestor paperwork about a grandpa that says "Pell Rice had 12 children" -- always makes me think, "Hmm, and MRS Rice had nothing to do with that?"Smile.gif

But I'm glad to see that dulcimer collecting is in a healthy state . . .

Dana R. McCall said:

Dan Goad
Dan Goad
@dan-goad
10 years ago
155 posts

I'm not an "Imelda" but I currently have 17 playable dulcimers. 4 others needing repairs of one sort or another.

Grin.gif Grin.gif Grin.gif

Rob N Lackey
Rob N Lackey
@rob-n-lackey
10 years ago
420 posts

Dana, I'm certainly going to try my best to be there! I had a great time there.

Dana R. McCall
Dana R. McCall
@dana-r-mccall
10 years ago
168 posts

Hope you come back this year and play some again. Looking forward to the 2nd annual J.A.R. Jam at my house.

R N Lackey said:

Well, Dana, in your case it's quality as well as quantity. You got a bunch of good uns! That's what makes yours so special. Thanks for letting me see and play some of them!

Dana R. McCall
Dana R. McCall
@dana-r-mccall
10 years ago
168 posts

Dana R. McCall
Dana R. McCall
@dana-r-mccall
10 years ago
168 posts

It is Maryann it isincurableandvery contagious43.gif

Maryann Lang said:

And floor space too! I have cleaned out what was once the craft corner of my office and now I am visualizing a music corner with achair, music stand and plethra of dulcimers -- and I have only been playing for a month or so -- DAd hits fast and hard and seems to be incurrable! Smile.gif

Rob N Lackey
Rob N Lackey
@rob-n-lackey
10 years ago
420 posts

Well, Dana, in your case it's quality as well as quantity. You got a bunch of good uns! That's what makes yours so special. Thanks for letting me see and play some of them!

Dana R. McCall
Dana R. McCall
@dana-r-mccall
10 years ago
168 posts

LOL RN just call me Imelda! 24.gif HAHA I know there are several out there with a lot more than my 25+ Jan for one.Grin.gif

Rob N Lackey
Rob N Lackey
@rob-n-lackey
10 years ago
420 posts

http://mountaindulcimer.ning.com/photo/dulcimer-wall?context=user

One of the best collections, of which this is just a portion.

Ellen Rice
Ellen Rice
@ellen-rice
10 years ago
49 posts

Wayne,

Thanks for the laugh and the link. Wow, there are some serious instrument collectors among the mix!

Wayne Anderson said:

Laughing "Imelda Marcos of Dulcimers" have to break into song "Don't Cry for Me McSpadden" lol. There are a number of us who have the DAD - Dulcimer Acquisition Disease and to keep everyone happy should write it DAd. There are more than a few of us that have two or more - there is an on going discussion on FOTMD How Many Dulcimers you may want to take a look at that discussion, Ellen.

But as many have said, you cannot have just one...lolSmile.gif

Ellen Rice
Ellen Rice
@ellen-rice
10 years ago
49 posts

I first laid eyes on a dulcimer in August 2013. I now own two. I now look at wall space in the house differently. Instead of visualizing a picture moving into a blank space, I wonder how a dulcimer would look hanging there.

Where is this leading me? I have seen a few pictures here of proud players who have a line up of dulcimers -- which leads me to ask, "Who is the Imelda Marcos of dulcimers?"

Please humor me by posting photos or links to your collections. We might as well see the what lies further down the path.Grin.gif

updated by @ellen-rice: 08/03/23 02:07:47PM