Jan Potts
@jan-potts
9 years ago
399 posts

I think it's GREAT!  I'd pay for one!

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." Henry Van Dyke
Susie
Susie
@susie
9 years ago
500 posts

My dulcimers weren't working without altering the top "neck support", even fully extended. So, that's why my husband worked on that part for me. As far as the cradle part, I wanted to do a support that didn't have any stretch. Plus, I don't mind sewing projects. Thanks for the compliment on my project. I wanted a stand that would look nice and work with all my dulcimers. I have had people ask if it was bought that way (specifically for dulcimers). So, it must appear to be nicely converted, to some degree.

Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
9 years ago
399 posts

Helen--what a clever idea!  I read what you wrote to my husband and he added, "And the wool is probably good for the wood", since he knows you have to be careful about what is touching the dulcimer when you are storing it or displaying it.

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." Henry Van Dyke

updated by @jan-potts: 11/22/15 04:45:08PM
Susie
Susie
@susie
9 years ago
500 posts

Thanks Mike, I thought so!

Mike Keller
Mike Keller
@mike-keller
9 years ago
3 posts

What a great idea!

Susie
Susie
@susie
9 years ago
500 posts

Marvin, that's why I posted this...to put the idea out there. I wanted to show how easy it could be done. It beats paying $40 or more for one. This is fully adjustable and it folds up for storage. I hope you give it a try. Fun to think through and do, too. Good luck.

Susie
Susie
@susie
9 years ago
500 posts

Thanks Joy! See you are from Midland. I'm in Gaylord.

updated by @susie: 10/24/15 11:13:38AM
Joy W.
Joy W.
@joy-w
9 years ago
19 posts

That is great. Thanks for sharing! I've got the sewing part covered but when it comes to welding ... not so much. ;-)

Susie
Susie
@susie
9 years ago
500 posts

Thanks Ken, I appreciate it. I wanted to post so others might benefit by the project. A very inexpensive way to get a dulcimer stand. 

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
9 years ago
1,073 posts

Very nice Susie. You and your husband did a fine job on the conversion. Thanks for sharing your handiwork.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Susie
Susie
@susie
9 years ago
500 posts

Finally, from the back.

dulcimerstand4.jpg
dulcimerstand4.jpg  •  111KB

Susie
Susie
@susie
9 years ago
500 posts

Side view.

dulcimerstand3.jpg
dulcimerstand3.jpg  •  128KB

Susie
Susie
@susie
9 years ago
500 posts

And another picture, with the dulcimer - front.

dulcimerstand2.jpg
dulcimerstand2.jpg  •  96KB

Susie
Susie
@susie
9 years ago
500 posts

I had a $10 guitar stand that I thought would make a great project to convert to a nice dulcimer stand. I have sewing skills and my husband has a welding torch. So, here's what we did. The bottom support (normally for the lower bout of a guitar) was converted by adding a "sling" (this is where my sewing skills came into play) to support the bottom of the dulcimer. I also sewed a hole for the strap button to rest through. This also serves the purpose of not letting the dulcimer slide off the sling. I also put some one wrap velcro on the bottom support to keep it stable from rotating (which is how they are made for guitars). Then, the top support (normally for the neck of the guitar) was converted by using the welding torch to reshape it to accomodate the wider area needed for the dulcimer. The steel is "hardened", so we couldn't just bend it by hand. Wa-la......a dulcimer stand is born. I'm really happy with how it turned out. And it is still adjustable to accomodate the height of all my dulcimers. Here are some pictures. 

dulcimerstand1.jpg
dulcimerstand1.jpg  •  154KB

updated by @susie: 07/31/23 09:16:40PM