Awesome Dulcimer Camaraderie

Rob N Lackey
Rob N Lackey
@rob-n-lackey
7 years ago
420 posts

Play some West Virginia tunes.  After all, June 20th is West Virginia Day, a holiday here!

dulcinina
@dulcinina
7 years ago
87 posts

The Berea group will begin playing at the Visitor Center (depot) on June 20th from 2-4 and will play each Tuesday during the summer. There is no set play list.  We usually take turns choosing a song and hopefully we all have the music.

Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
7 years ago
400 posts

Doesn't the Berea group play at the Visitor Center (depot) certain days all summer long?  If someone had that info and shared it, maybe a bunch of us would show up and share some tunes!

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." Henry Van Dyke
Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
7 years ago
400 posts

Love to hear my dulcimer buddies chatting it up!  Yes, I do think you two were paired up for the "Finding Do" (as in "Do Re Mi") activity we did awhile back.  I encourage everyone to play with lots of different folks-- mix it up, get outside your comfort zone, meet new people, and widen your vision!  You will be exposed of different ways to play the same songs, new songs--and possibly some new genres, and maybe learn a few tips you'll find helpful.  I'm looking forward to gathering now and then throughout the summer, jamming and learning with folks at Kentucky Music Week in June and also at the Homer Ledford Dulcimer Festival Labor Day weekend.  But if you can't attend one of these special events or workshops, hopefully you'll find someone to join you on your porch with a cold drink this summer and you can swap songs, sing a little, and serenade the lightning bugs!

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." Henry Van Dyke

updated by @jan-potts: 05/28/17 09:31:52AM
dulcinina
@dulcinina
7 years ago
87 posts

Hey Dulcimerjones, I go to the Nicholasville group when I can.   I think we were partners in the finding "Do" exercise. Yes, come to Berea sometime. 

DulcimerJones
DulcimerJones
@dulcimerjones
7 years ago
21 posts

So glad to know someone else is visiting other groups.  I think it's an excellent way to meet players who might line up with your particular style & others that don't.  I'm in eastern Ky & have been visiting the group in Nicholasville over the past 6 months--next stop, Berea!

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
7 years ago
1,426 posts

Way cool, dulcinina!  I love both Hindman & Berea!

Rob N Lackey
Rob N Lackey
@rob-n-lackey
7 years ago
420 posts

That's great that all were able to get together.  There are groups here about 20 miles apart.  Only a couple of them (or maybe 1) come to the meetings of each.  I agree playing with other musicians who are "new" to you is a good, even great thing.  Never been to Berea (yet.... hey I may be available) but I love Hindman and the folks there.

dulcinina
@dulcinina
7 years ago
87 posts

Today my dulcimer group from Berea KY got together with the Hindman KY group who came to Berea for a day trip.  After they ran around town they came to our Multignerational facility to play with us.  There were about 20 folks from Hindman and about 17 of us.  Warren May came to listen as did Jean Ritchie's niece.

We had a great time together and a potluck afterward.  We had so much fun that we are planning a trip to Hindman soon to play with them.  Hindman is about 100 miles from Berea.  I drive 90 miles round trip to play with the Berea/Richmond KY group each week.  I am so fortunate to live close enough to take advantage of such opportunities.

I'm a fledgling intermediate player and my advice is to seize any opportunity to play with different groups.  It's so rewarding.  Dulcinina

It's only too late if you don't start now.   

updated by @dulcinina: 10/27/19 12:02:25PM