New River Dulcimer Info needed

Richard Streib
Richard Streib
@richard-streib
7 years ago
231 posts

Thanks, Ken.

I checked with Don Pedi  since the owner's manual has his picture on it.  Don has a dim recollection of the family perhaps selling Green River Dulcimers after Bill Walker died tragically and it could be the new owners named it New River Dulcimers but he was not sure.

Song of the Wood did not have any information. I checked with them in September when I was by there. I'll check with the Dulcimer Shop in Blowing Rock.

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
7 years ago
2,111 posts

Interesting, and obviously home made fine tuners.  With that VSL, the builder could have intended this to be a baritone or bass dulcimer.  And with that VSL it would be hard for many modern players to use for Chord Melody style. 

The New River in NC was designated a Wild and Scenic Waterway back in 1976... Beautiful waterway north of Blowing Rock.

Contact The Dulcimer Shop in Blowing Rock, NC.  I'll bet they have some information.  Likewise Song of the Wood, in Black Mountain NC, where your friend bought the instrument may have more info.

Richard Streib
Richard Streib
@richard-streib
7 years ago
231 posts

I have a friend who has a mountain dulcimer with the name New River Dulcimers (Asheville, NC), serial number 118, and crafted by Oliver in December, 1996.
My friend has asked me if I could find a bit about this instrument including its value.

The dulcimer appears to have walnut fretboard, with walnut bookmatched top and back with cherry sides. Bridge and nut appear to be bone. Cosmetically it appears to be in good shape with few signs of much use. It appears to have been well kept if not played much.  No signs of abuse, improper storage etc. My friend purchased it used at an instrument store in Black Mountain, NC a number of years ago.

Voice is guitar like. It has tuners which appear to be  Grover Sta-tite banjo machines. It has some "fine tuners" unlike any I have seen heretofore on a dulcimer. VSL 29.25". Overall length 37". Pictures attached.

Internet searches do not provide much information.

Anyone with any knowledge of this brand, value used etc?