Any Thoughts On This Dulcimer, Please ?

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
6 years ago
2,156 posts

Those two are our best Appalachian Ambassadors!  Highly respected on both sides of The Pond.  I hope to meet them some day.

nigelbleddfa
@nigelbleddfa
6 years ago
33 posts

I spoke to him a couple of weeks ago. He was very helpful and patient with a newcomer like me. I have also spoken with John Henry. He was great and the two of them have shown me what a friendly forum this is. 

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
6 years ago
2,156 posts

Five strings is not an uncommon arrangement; several builders make them.

Talk to Robin Clark at Birdrock Dulcimers there in Snowdonia.  He's building some instruments, and has a couple models made here in the US specifically for his shop.

nigelbleddfa
@nigelbleddfa
6 years ago
33 posts

I have asked the seller and he says that he has no idea of the woods or the manufacturer. I thought that the five tuners might have been recognised by somebody. Now, I think I will buy a newly made one. I have been lucky enough to have spoken with two very knowledgeable members here and I am inclined to buy a dulcimer which has been specifically made for DAA tuning. I would keep my McSpadden in DAD. Two dulcimers is not too many, especially when most of you here seem to have about fifteen.duck

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
6 years ago
2,156 posts

Nothing "wrong" with homemade as long as the fret spacing is accurate.  That could be an attempt to "bookmatch" planks on the back; but we normally do that with the splice down the center of the instrument, not off to the side.  It may be worth sending a question to the buyer, if there's time and the price is reasonable.

nigelbleddfa
@nigelbleddfa
6 years ago
33 posts

It could well be homemade and as has been already mentioned, there could be a crack in the back of it so I will not be bidding for it. Thank you.

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
6 years ago
1,148 posts

It looks like a homemade instrument to me.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

nigelbleddfa
@nigelbleddfa
6 years ago
33 posts

There are no labels, unfortunately, and the item is for sale in the UK on eBay so I cannot tell if there are any cracks. 

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
6 years ago
2,156 posts

No label inside the rear soundholes?  That's a real "generic" design; nothing really to distinguish it.  Is that a crack on the back, or a joint between two pieces?  

updated by @ken-hulme: 02/11/18 09:57:59AM
nigelbleddfa
@nigelbleddfa
6 years ago
33 posts

This instrument has five tuners so I do not think it is of Eastern European or Asian manufacture. Does anybody have any idea of who the manufacturer would be, please ?

dulc3.jpg
dulc3.jpg  •  92KB

dulc2.jpg
dulc2.jpg  •  179KB

dulc1.jpg
dulc1.jpg  •  139KB