Cantilevered Tail/Bridge

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
6 years ago
1,148 posts

Here is a photo of the cantilevered fret board on the first dulcimer I built. I only made two like this.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

IMG_2533.jpg
IMG_2533.jpg  •  172KB

Webb
Webb
@webb
6 years ago
6 posts

Thanks for the responses. I might have to give it a try.

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
6 years ago
1,148 posts

The first dulcimer I built (back in 1974) has a cantilevered fretboard. I used plans made by Joseph Wallo who worked at Weaver's Violin Shop in Washington, D.C. I made the fretboard from three pieces of wood and after 44 years of constant tension the on the strings (mostly in DAA tuning) there is no curling of the fretboard. Although this is not the largest dulcimer I own, it is the loudest. The top vibrates as well as the back but not as much as the back. I thought I had some photos I could easily find, but I don't. I'll try to take a few and post them for you.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
6 years ago
1,764 posts

Hi @Webb.  You might find David Beede's demonstration of his "decoupled" tailpiece to be interesting. I am not a builder myself, but I find the difference in tone that he gets to be truly dramatic.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Webb
Webb
@webb
6 years ago
6 posts

I am interested in luthiers and players a like opinions/experience with cantilevered fretboards tail/bridge 

( made popular/exercised by Howie Mitchell and Keith Young ) compared to tail/bridge being in direct contact with the tail block.