Dulcimer from Georgia

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
2 years ago
2,111 posts

As KenL says, Georgia really does not have a traditioan of dulcimere building/playing in the same way that Kentucky, or Tennessee or North Carolina or the Virginias do.  No known early (1800s or early 1900s) builders or traditional shapes associated with the state.  Neither does South Carolina.  The reason may be how and from where those areas were settled -no direct connections to areas where the instrument was known, no settlers from other known dulcimer building areas, etc.

jean baptiste
jean baptiste
@jean-baptiste
2 years ago
3 posts

Many thanks for all this information. I shall get the Book. 

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
2 years ago
1,073 posts

Two good books on dulcimer history are Ralph Lee Smith's Appalachian Dulcimer Traditions and The Story of the Dulcimer. I suggest doing an internet search for them. Georgia is not known for having a history of mountain dulcimer making or playing. If you just want to know about Georgia, an internet search will provide you will lots of information.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

jean baptiste
jean baptiste
@jean-baptiste
2 years ago
3 posts

Thank you very much Ken for all this information.

Do you know where I could find some information about the history of the Dulcimer and Georgia?

Bye

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
2 years ago
1,073 posts

John Pledger lives in northwest Georgia and after he retired decided to start building dulcimers. He is a hobbyist who sells his dulcimers through Etsy. Here is a photo of him with two of his dulcimers. This is what it says on his Etsy page: "I am a hobbyist Dulcimer maker from North Georgia. I make one dulcimer at a time and only seven or eight per year. I enjoy playing the Mountain Dulcimer and attending craft shows with them throughout the year. I meet a lot of interesting people who love art and music. The Mountain dulcimer is arguably the easiest of the stringed instruments to play. I am learning old time American mountain music and Celtic/New age tunes. The dulcimer is the instrument for the beginning string student because of its ease and immediate results." He is a member here and you can search for him under members and send him a private message if you have any other questions.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

jean baptiste
jean baptiste
@jean-baptiste
2 years ago
3 posts

Hello ,

I am new to the community  and have played the Dulcimer for a couple of years now in a local folk rock music band from the French Alps.

I recently purchased a Johnny Pledger Dulcimer. Do you have any information on this builder since I got it from a French musician...

IAM also curious about the history of Georgia and its link with the mountain dulcimer. If you can get me any information on the subject I would be more than thankful

Many thanks,

JBaptiste

original

original