Electric Dulcimer Players Out There?

John Keane
John Keane
@john-keane
9 years ago
182 posts

One never knows lol...Grin.gif

Geekling said:

Back atcha, John!Smile.gif Hey, you could be the first on your block (or planet) to bow a resonator dulcimer--now that I'd like to hear (at least once, anyway3.gif )!Grin.gif

John Keane
John Keane
@john-keane
9 years ago
182 posts

I'm a fan! Grin.gif

John Keane
John Keane
@john-keane
9 years ago
182 posts

I agree...very cool! Grin.gif

Robin Thompson said:

Stephanie, that dulci-bow built by John Hen-- um, I mean a "certain member from the UK" gives a really neat sound on that electric Yocky!

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
9 years ago
1,199 posts

Stephanie, that dulci-bow built by John Hen-- um, I mean a "certain member from the UK" gives a really neat sound on that electric Yocky!

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
9 years ago
1,199 posts

Stephanie, cool sound! That's your Jim-Bow?

Gayle Maurer
Gayle Maurer
@gayle-maurer
9 years ago
31 posts

That is amazing! Loved it. It is such a unique sound. Thanks for posting.

Gayle Maurer
Gayle Maurer
@gayle-maurer
9 years ago
31 posts

How cool is that? Thanks for the link. I enjoyed that and will pass it on to other people who are not necessarily into dulcimers. They will get a kick out of it.

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
9 years ago
1,199 posts

Thanks for posting that link, Jeff! When I got to YT and saw it was a video of Butch Ross. . . well, I'm embarrassed that I neglected to mention Butch.40.gif Mark and I love Butch!8.gif

Jeff
Jeff
@jeff
9 years ago
0 posts

I just stumbled across this video this morning... You asked about electric Dulci's ...

Gayle Maurer
Gayle Maurer
@gayle-maurer
9 years ago
31 posts

That I'd like to hear. I didn't realize there were fretless dulcimers. Well the violin is fretless so it would be like that. I don't think I'd be very good at that. Sorry it took me a few days to answer. We were out of town in a place with no cell service and the motel had internet but the elderly ladies running it didn't know the password. I was in techno withdrawal. I love it there, but I love modern technology!

Gayle Maurer
Gayle Maurer
@gayle-maurer
9 years ago
31 posts

Such interesting responses! This is like a whole new world to me - dulcimer playing - that I never knew existed. Just goes to show that at any age, you can still learn stuff. I listened to the audio clips, Geekling, and that sound is incredible. Don't worry if you don't like making videos, sound clips are fine. I personally get more nervous if I play in front of people. I can sing in a group, but when I have to do a solo, my mouth gets all dry and my tongue sticks to the roof of my mouth. Exceptionally hard to sing that way. lol. On my videos, you don't see the bad versions before I finally do it reasonably well! Anyway, I am finding all this fascinating. Mountain dulcimer players are very inventive.Grin.gifGrin.gif

Mary Z. Cox
Mary Z. Cox
@mary-z-cox
9 years ago
60 posts
Have a couple dulcimers with built in pic ups, but haven't used them that much although they sound perfectly fine and very acoustic. Just got a uke with built in pick up & cutaway body that I think I may start using on stage. Like the dulcimer, the uke needs some kind of amplification if it is playing with another instrument in order to be heard :)
John Keane
John Keane
@john-keane
9 years ago
182 posts

Gayle, as Geekling mentioned earlier, there are quite a few folks around here who use an electric dulcimer. There are also quite a few folks around here who can't stand it lol. Grin.gif I think it's neat to explore the different possibilities that the instrument can offer.

John Henry
John Henry
@john-henry
9 years ago
257 posts

Hey Geekling, its about time you left your foray into stripping, and gave a us a tune with your 'J bow' ?

John

Geekling said:

Gayle, in addition to Bucko Futreal's terrific electric dulcimer videos, John Keane, magictime, and I have posted videos featuring our Yocky electric dulcimers. The ones by magictime and me were played noter/drone. Of course, noter/drone is always going to sound best on an acoustic dulcimer, but an electric dulcimer sounds pretty cool played with a noter. In fact, it's kind of fun to mash up the traditional with the modern. For my House of the Rising Sun video, I fingerpicked my electric dulcimer while again playing it noter-style. And now that I think about it, I really should try bowing my electric now that I've gotten better at it. That's right, it'll be electric noter/bow!Smile.gif

PS: I've been using a special bow designed for mountain dulcimers called a JimBow. Robin uses the real kind!3.gifGrin.gif

Gayle Maurer
Gayle Maurer
@gayle-maurer
9 years ago
31 posts

I would love to hear the electric noter/bow! Please post a video. That should be really interesting sounding!

Are some dulcimers made just for bowing? I'm thinking a violin's strings aren't in line with each other, but the center strings are higher so the bow can reach them. Aren't some dulcimers made that way too? I don't know if I am explaining it correctly. I'm thinking a regular dulcimer would have to be bowed drone style or you could just reach the outer strings.

Gayle Maurer
Gayle Maurer
@gayle-maurer
9 years ago
31 posts

I'll take a look (and listen). Thanks! I never realized when I looked into dulcimer playing what different styles there are out there. The first I heard was the noter and drone style. I fell in love with that and it looked relatively easy (I find it's not quite so easy, but not impossible to learn). That's why I just had to have one. Now that I look into it more, I find there's chord playing and fingerpicking. There's even people who play it with a bow. Quite an instrument.

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
9 years ago
1,199 posts

Gayle, I'm an old-time music dulcimer player. However, I like lots of different dulcimer music! A couple of my favorite "electric" players are Bucko Futreal (his videos can be seen here at FOTMD) and Jerry Rockwell.

EDIT: Both Michael "Bucko" Futreal and Jerry Rockwell play more than one instrument. They're two players who come to mind when I think of "electric" dulcimer music, though. Also, I need to smack myself in the headSmile.gif . Bing Futch plays great music on electric dulcimer.

Gayle Maurer
Gayle Maurer
@gayle-maurer
9 years ago
31 posts

One of my groups on facebook has a video of someone playing the electric dulcimer. It had a very lovely sound, but was so many miles away from what I originally thought of as a dulcimer sound. I guess it shows that there are many ways to play the dulcimer and at least one way should appeal to everyone. Does anyone here play an electric version?

updated by @gayle-maurer: 06/11/15 07:32:02AM