John Keane
John Keane
@john-keane
12 years ago
182 posts

One never knows lol...Grin.gif

Geekling said:

Back atcha, John!Smile.gif Hey, you could be the first on your block (or planet) to bow a resonator dulcimer--now that I'd like to hear (at least once, anyway3.gif )!Grin.gif

John Keane
John Keane
@john-keane
12 years ago
182 posts

I'm a fan! Grin.gif

John Keane
John Keane
@john-keane
12 years ago
182 posts

I agree...very cool! Grin.gif

Robin Thompson said:

Stephanie, that dulci-bow built by John Hen-- um, I mean a "certain member from the UK" gives a really neat sound on that electric Yocky!

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
12 years ago
1,414 posts

Stephanie, that dulci-bow built by John Hen-- um, I mean a "certain member from the UK" gives a really neat sound on that electric Yocky!

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
12 years ago
1,414 posts

Stephanie, cool sound! That's your Jim-Bow?

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
12 years ago
1,414 posts

Thanks for posting that link, Jeff! When I got to YT and saw it was a video of Butch Ross. . . well, I'm embarrassed that I neglected to mention Butch.40.gif Mark and I love Butch!8.gif

Mary Z. Cox
Mary Z. Cox
@mary-z-cox
12 years ago
62 posts
Have a couple dulcimers with built in pic ups, but haven't used them that much although they sound perfectly fine and very acoustic. Just got a uke with built in pick up & cutaway body that I think I may start using on stage. Like the dulcimer, the uke needs some kind of amplification if it is playing with another instrument in order to be heard :)
John Keane
John Keane
@john-keane
12 years ago
182 posts

Gayle, as Geekling mentioned earlier, there are quite a few folks around here who use an electric dulcimer. There are also quite a few folks around here who can't stand it lol. Grin.gif I think it's neat to explore the different possibilities that the instrument can offer.

John Henry
John Henry
@john-henry
12 years ago
258 posts

Hey Geekling, its about time you left your foray into stripping, and gave a us a tune with your 'J bow' ?

John

Geekling said:

Gayle, in addition to Bucko Futreal's terrific electric dulcimer videos, John Keane, magictime, and I have posted videos featuring our Yocky electric dulcimers. The ones by magictime and me were played noter/drone. Of course, noter/drone is always going to sound best on an acoustic dulcimer, but an electric dulcimer sounds pretty cool played with a noter. In fact, it's kind of fun to mash up the traditional with the modern. For my House of the Rising Sun video, I fingerpicked my electric dulcimer while again playing it noter-style. And now that I think about it, I really should try bowing my electric now that I've gotten better at it. That's right, it'll be electric noter/bow!Smile.gif

PS: I've been using a special bow designed for mountain dulcimers called a JimBow. Robin uses the real kind!3.gif Grin.gif

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
12 years ago
1,414 posts

Gayle, I'm an old-time music dulcimer player. However, I like lots of different dulcimer music! A couple of my favorite "electric" players are Bucko Futreal (his videos can be seen here at FOTMD) and Jerry Rockwell.

EDIT: Both Michael "Bucko" Futreal and Jerry Rockwell play more than one instrument. They're two players who come to mind when I think of "electric" dulcimer music, though. Also, I need to smack myself in the headSmile.gif . Bing Futch plays great music on electric dulcimer.