patrick gietzen
patrick gietzen
@patrick-gietzen
3 years ago
1 posts

i just found this thread. I too have John Maxwell  made in the Upper Cumberland Craft Center.  Wooden pegs and it is marked # 2332.

Pat

Kusani
Kusani
@kusani
8 years ago
134 posts

I have no way to make a copy of the 45 record; but if you will message me your mailing address I will gladly send you copies of the materials on him I have; many are very faint copies but provide interesting information. 

Kusani
Kusani
@kusani
8 years ago
134 posts

I can't help you with more info regarding your particular instrument, but I do nave more info on John Maxwell; plus an original 45 recording of him and his people playing. If you wish I will be glad to copy and send you the info.  Is there a notch in the nut/bridge for a 4th string?

updated by @kusani: 10/18/16 08:41:20AM
Robin Clark
Robin Clark
@robin-clark
8 years ago
239 posts

The pic in kusani's photo certain looks like the frets are set in just intonation (flattened 3rds and flattened 6ths).  It should play beautifully in DAA (or DAAA for 4 string equidistant).  I'm sure that around the time (60s and 70s) a few observant makers would have copied Jean Ritchie's 4 string equidistant set-up where she played a single melody string with a noter and had 3 x drones - usually DAA - as no doubt customers would ask for it.  A number of makers around that time were using a just intonated fret placement as it is the natural fret position for DAA playing.  However, in areas where unison tuning had a long tradition the fret pattern would have been slightly different.

updated by @robin-clark: 10/17/16 11:48:45AM
Kusani
Kusani
@kusani
8 years ago
134 posts

My Maxwell, see pic. in signature on left, was built in 1976.  Maxwell, from Cookeville, Tn. around 2300 dulcimers between the mid-60's and late 70s.  My instrument has 4 strings (equal distant), and does not have the 6 1/2 fret.  My guess yours would be mid-60's to early 70's, but can't be sure. 

updated by @kusani: 10/16/16 05:15:26PM
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
8 years ago
2,126 posts

Possibly.  But we'll need clear close up and overall photos., and inside, of the sticker and the area around it.  Most Maxwell's have a number associated with them  that is not a date, but a model number.  One "caution" is that Maxwell dulcimers may not have the frets set for the modern "plays well with everything" intonation.  There are numerous reports of Maxwell dulcimers being in Just Intonation or some other system.

updated by @ken-hulme: 10/16/16 09:10:08AM