Fretboard separation from soundboard...

Stewart McCormick
Stewart McCormick
@stewart-mccormick
7 years ago
65 posts
I know Erin Rogers teaches a class for all dulcimer players, of all styles and skill levels, in Hutchinson!! I have always wanted to go, but it seems to be on weekends that I have something else planned...
CD
CD
@cd
7 years ago
61 posts

you also have the Rogers family in Bellville.

Stewart McCormick
Stewart McCormick
@stewart-mccormick
7 years ago
65 posts
Thank you all for your help!! As soon as Thanksgiving is over, I will have a little to time evaluate and try your suggestions! And @CD, it's nice to know someone is close that also loves the Mountain Dulcimer!
Bob
Bob
@bob
7 years ago
86 posts

From the photo, it looks like the spruce top (?) has broken away from the fret board and some spruce is still attached to the fret board. (A good glue joint is stronger than the wood, so that may be the case.) If that's so, (and it looks like the joint between the head stock and fingerboard is firm) then the wood may have shrunk and separated. At any rate, consider fixing/filling the gap with a liberally glued and snug fitting shim. That would secure the two parts again.

CD
CD
@cd
7 years ago
61 posts

Stewart, I just disovered we are not that far apart.  I am in Wichita, KS.  If you don't get it fixed let me know and maybe we can work it out to get together.  I would be willing to try and help.

CD
CD
@cd
7 years ago
61 posts

Robert it is Stewart that is having the problem.  I was just going to try to help out but Ken gave excellent advice.  

robert schuler
robert schuler
@robert-schuler
7 years ago
252 posts

Hello CD, if the fingerboard pulled away from the soundboard then clamp as Ken said. If the soundboard pulled away from the fingerboard, then clamping would warp the fingerboard. If its the latter then add a shim between them. Its a common problem with all dulcimers over time where the soundboard pulls away a little bit from the fingerboard, usually on one side. If your dulcimer plays well as is, then you might want to leave well enough alone. Wood is very fluid over time its all a part of getting old I guess... Robert.

Stewart McCormick
Stewart McCormick
@stewart-mccormick
7 years ago
65 posts
@cd, it is just in the one arch next to the headstock! And thank you Ken! I'm trying to get all the tools needed to try to fix both the headstock crack, and this separation. I thought I better ask the pros first!
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
7 years ago
2,111 posts

Slack the strings.

Use a large C clamp and padding right where the fretboard ends, and see if you can GENTLY squeeze the gap shut, even just a little.  If so, that's better/good.  Use thick, slo-setting superglue and clamp for a couple minutes until things set. Otherwise you'll have to fill the gap.

Use painter's tape to mask the sides and under the arch, and use thick superglue to fill the gap.  This may take several applications.

CD
CD
@cd
7 years ago
61 posts

Is it that way all the way down the fret board or just at the head

Stewart McCormick
Stewart McCormick
@stewart-mccormick
7 years ago
65 posts
Hello! I am needing any helpful suggestions on how to address this separation on my instrument! Sorry if the pic is grainy, the other side of the fretboard is still holding strong.
20171119_115548.jpg
20171119_115548.jpg  •  68KB