Nathina
Nathina
@nathina
4 years ago
188 posts

Dusty Turtle:

Nathina, it's really hard to comment on dulcimers without seeing and hearing them.  And what one person thinks of as bright or mellow might not be what your ears here.  I would suggest listening to dulcimer music posted here and on YouTube and Soundcloud.  Most of us indicate the dulcimer we are playing and the tuning we use, and if we don't, ask.  Then you can hear for yourself which luthiers make instruments that appeal to you. 

For what it's worth, I have never played or even seen a Gardener, but I own two Ewing dulcimers.  However, neither is a full-size instrument. One is an octave dulcimer and one a 3/4-size instrument that Ron calls a "baritone dulcimette."  I love both of them for their balanced and clear tone and the responsiveness of the fretboard.  Ron's dulcimers are of very high quality and his baritones in particular enjoy a fine reputation.

Thanks, You are actually giving me the information I am seeking.

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
4 years ago
1,729 posts

Nathina, it's really hard to comment on dulcimers without seeing and hearing them.  And what one person thinks of as bright or mellow might not be what your ears here.  I would suggest listening to dulcimer music posted here and on YouTube and Soundcloud.  Most of us indicate the dulcimer we are playing and the tuning we use, and if we don't, ask.  Then you can hear for yourself which luthiers make instruments that appeal to you. 

For what it's worth, I have never played or even seen a Gardener, but I own two Ewing dulcimers.  However, neither is a full-size instrument. One is an octave dulcimer and one a 3/4-size instrument that Ron calls a "baritone dulcimette."  I love both of them for their balanced and clear tone and the responsiveness of the fretboard.  Ron's dulcimers are of very high quality and his baritones in particular enjoy a fine reputation.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
4 years ago
1,429 posts

Yes, all potato chips have differences!  There are lots of small chip makers across the country who have their devotees.  :) However, what might be, say,  too greasy to one isn't too greasy to another's taste.  

The only way to compare tones between two/among several dulcimers is to hear them.  Though I play with a noter all the time, all my instruments were not made specifically for noter play-- some were just built for unknown players who wound up owning them.    

Nathina
Nathina
@nathina
4 years ago
188 posts

I was hoping for a comparison in tones etc. Some are better for strumming, others are louder as Dusty says, some are more mellow even with the same woods. Some are specifically designed for noters having flatter frets. Even potato chips can have differences. Lays original, light not too greasy, Ruffles, more solid not very light etc.

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
4 years ago
1,729 posts

I agree with Robin, Nathina, that these kinds of comparisons are hard to make.  Not only is there something subjective about one's preference for a particular builder or another, but with older instruments so much depends on the condition of the specific instrument.

To illustrate how subjective this can be, I bought a used Blue Lion at a very reasonable price because the person who owned it didn't like the sound. She played mainly in a drone fingerdancing style and found the bass string was too loud and drowned out the melody.  But that loud, bassy sound is exactly what so many of us love about Blue Lion instruments.  (And now I have three dulcimers even louder than that one!)

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
4 years ago
1,429 posts

Nathina, the this versus that comparisons are very hard because it is all so subjective.  Mountain dulcimers are like potato chips. . . And comparing them is like comparing all the types of potato chips made by all the potato chip companies big and small.  Very hard.  

Nathina
Nathina
@nathina
4 years ago
188 posts

Is this a Tie or is one more recommended than the other? Both are good but which of the older instruments were better?

Here is a comparison I haven't seen between Ewing hourglass and a Gardener tear drop.Both are set for 4 stings. The older Gardener is probably Cherry top and I need to see the back pics yet,  the Ewing is Walnut. Both are older instruments. Both are good builders. The Ewing in old enough to come with a wooden case. There are no "abalone" inserts on ewing, the gardener has them. The ewing fret board is undercut at the strum hollow. The gardener is has no signature scallops under the fret board, probably dating it maybe it is 1991. 

updated by @nathina: 12/03/20 09:23:04PM