4 years ago
21 posts

Thanks for sharing Mark.

Neat piece of history.

Mike Anderson2
@mike-anderson2
4 years ago
21 posts

Thanks I got my first speeding ticket in Eureka heading back to Seattle in 85. Those CHPs were really sneaky and good back then I never saw him coming and my eyes were on my rear view mirror all the time doing 70. :)

Howard Rugg
@howard-rugg
4 years ago
6 posts

The plywood dulcimers were made as a group effort.

Mark Richardson said:

Looks nice.. I have something similar and still trying to find out its maker... It came with Capritarus paper work... a actual manual and diagram and how to tune, from Capritarus.... NO label inside. I figured it around 73 or earlier...Neil Hellman took a look and couldn't tell its maker, as its not of the Model D ( I have an 83 Walnut Model D, and owned several Model D's in the early 70's).

Mike Anderson2
@mike-anderson2
4 years ago
21 posts

Im jealous. As I told Howard I lived in the Village in NYC back in the 60s and my life's experiences came from those days. My Sig Other on the other hand lived in SF during the same time and another great time. Would love to see the manual some day.

Mike

405_forums.gif

Mike Anderson2
@mike-anderson2
4 years ago
21 posts

I posted two pictures on this of the head. Has to be frustrating not to tell. My insides are kerfed where they were bent and not using steam as they do today.

Mike

I dont suppose the manual is in PDF format is it??? that would be awesome

http://mountaindulcimer.ning.com/forum/topics/buzzing-as-the-note-quites-after-being-picked-on-22-string?commentId=3745489%3AComment%3A459309&xg_source=msg_com_forum

Mike Anderson2
@mike-anderson2
4 years ago
21 posts

Thanks Rob. I am very happy. The D string buzzes real bad on the first fret but the rest of the strings are okay. I tried to raise the strings using a CC on the nut side but when I push down, the strings are still touching the fret wire upon vibration. I think that tells me that the bridge side needs to come up. I do intend to get it fixed using a luthier or perhaps guitar repair professional. I am retired and on a fixed income so I have to choose my battles.

Mike

Rob N Lackey
@rob-n-lackey
4 years ago
449 posts

Mike, you do have a piece of history there and a fine instrument as well. I have one of the earliest ones with pegs (pics on my page) and love it's tone (though I don't play it as much as I should.) Enjoy!

Rob

Mike Anderson2
@mike-anderson2
4 years ago
21 posts

Thanks Howard. I am pleased to have one of your instruments and a piece of history.

Mike

Howard Rugg
@howard-rugg
4 years ago
6 posts

Its a Capritaurus walnut with spruce top made prior to "folk Roots". Looks great!

Howard

Mike Anderson said:

Dusty Turtle said:

Mike, perhaps you already know the basic story of Capritaurus. But if not, Howard Rugg tells us in his own words:

Thanks Dusty I was fortunate enough to be able to watch and enjoy those. Funny enough I was living in the Village on Bleeker street in the 60s and I think some of those were my twins on the west coast.

Mike Anderson2
@mike-anderson2
4 years ago
21 posts

Dusty Turtle said:

Mike, perhaps you already know the basic story of Capritaurus. But if not, Howard Rugg tells us in his own words:

Thanks Dusty I was fortunate enough to be able to watch and enjoy those. Funny enough I was living in the Village on Bleeker street in the 60s and I think some of those were my twins on the west coast.

Mike Anderson2
@mike-anderson2
4 years ago
21 posts

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Correct there is no model or serial number. It is in very good condition but am having a huge issue with the D string buzzing and hitting the second fret wire. From 2 up it is fine but I will work on that problem and may have to send it out. Hope these pictures help. The voice is excellent and has a long decay. Ignore the credit card insert on the nut, I was hoping to raise the string height but of course that wouldn't matter if it were hitting the 2nd fret anyway.

Mike402_forums.jpg?width=721403_forums.jpg404_forums.jpg?width=721

Howard Rugg
@howard-rugg
4 years ago
6 posts

Hello Mike

The picture above looks like it might be made from a kit, its not exactly shaped like an origional Capritaurus. Do you have a picture of your dulcimer? The earlier 70ies Capritaurus were not marked with model and serial no. on the label. The real early had a large scroll with violin pegs. We have not figured out when we first started using guitar machine tuners yet.

Howard

Dusty Turtle
@dusty-turtle
4 years ago
886 posts

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

"A good song makes you laugh, it makes you cry, it makes you think."
-- Pete Seeger
Dusty Turtle
@dusty-turtle
4 years ago
886 posts

Mike Andersonposted the following:

I just purchased a Capritaurus and wonder if there is a way to date it? The label has no serial numbers or signatures that I can see. I have seen several pictures and it appears to be a generic with heart-shaped soundholes and not custom. This is what mine look like but the picture is from Wikipedia:

401_forums.jpg?width=500

Mike then added: I saw one of Howard's posts and he was referring to actual serial numbers. It appears to be a Model D if applicable to the Folk Roots name. I will get a flash light and do a closer exam.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

"A good song makes you laugh, it makes you cry, it makes you think."
-- Pete Seeger

updated by @dusty-turtle: 03/12/17 01:35:45AM