New Doug Berch Dulcimer :)

Susie
Susie
@susie
4 years ago
500 posts

Dennis Waldrop:

First it has been way to long since I have been on this site! Second, I love your Doug Berch Dulcimer. Could you give me a little information on how and why you choose his instrument? I am talking with Doug and maybe looking at one of his instruments with the same woods that are in your Dulcimer. I am looking for a sound that is mellow and rich and wondering if these woods provide that kind of sound?

Thank you. I chose a Doug Berch dulcimer, because I know him personally and know the quality and care that go into his builds and I know how long he's been building dulcimers. Plus, he is an awesome player. He is very articulate....you could call him a perfectionist. My sassafras/walnut dulcimer is warmer sounding than my McSpadden and Folkcraft custom. Those woods tend to be so, as opposed to cherry or spruce. But, what also enters into the equation for how a dulcimer sounds is the build itself, how the builder makes his instruments. Mine isn't as loud as my Folkcraft custom, but the builds are different. The Folkcraft has a galax back. The Doug Berch has a beautiful tone, that has a real nice balance. I love it, actually. Mine has a pick-up, so when I want more volume, I just plug it in, and it sounds great through my little Roland amp. Doug is awesome to work with. He's not only good at what he does, but he's one of the nicest, most caring guys you'll every meet. Put it this way, at the time he was building mine, I went through a health scare. He provided me much-needed comfort. He is that thoughtful. Anyway, I don't think you'd be disappointed with one of his duclimers, just work with him and he will surely answer any questions or concerns you may have. I hope this helps.

AngelinaCat:

Hi Susie:

Your dulcimer is beautiful.  I love the wood patterns.  I bet it sounds as sweet as it looks.

Thank you! It does have a beautiful voice.

updated by @susie: 04/01/20 11:33:57AM
AngelinaCat
AngelinaCat
@angelinacat
4 years ago
22 posts

Hi Susie:

Your dulcimer is beautiful.  I love the wood patterns.  I bet it sounds as sweet as it looks.

Dennis Waldrop
Dennis Waldrop
@dennis-waldrop
4 years ago
16 posts

First it has been way to long since I have been on this site! Second, I love your Doug Berch Dulcimer. Could you give me a little information on how and why you choose his instrument? I am talking with Doug and maybe looking at one of his instruments with the same woods that are in your Dulcimer. I am looking for a sound that is mellow and rich and wondering if these woods provide that kind of sound?

Susie
Susie
@susie
10 years ago
500 posts

Thanks Lexie. You're right.

Lexie R Oakley
Lexie R Oakley
@lexie-r-oakley
10 years ago
229 posts

Beautiful dulcimer, I bet it has a sweet sound.

Susie
Susie
@susie
10 years ago
500 posts

Thanks Dusty! Yes, it sounds great.

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
10 years ago
1,727 posts

It sure looks beautiful, Susie. And if it sounds half as nice as you say, you've got a real treasure there.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Susie
Susie
@susie
10 years ago
500 posts
Thanks for the replies so far. I appreciate every one of them. You are so kind.
John Henry
John Henry
@john-henry
10 years ago
258 posts

Great looking instrument, I love the Walnut in that back !

JohnH

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
10 years ago
1,425 posts
Susie, your Berch is beautiful!Doug is a wonderful player, builder, and, most importantly, a wonderful person. I don't yet own one of Doug's instruments though I'd like to someday.
Susie
Susie
@susie
10 years ago
500 posts

614_forums.jpg?width=750

615_forums.jpg?width=750 I'm a few months late in posting this, but I'm in love with my new Doug Berch dulcimer. Doug is a wonderful luthier and a National Champion (won both the hammered dulcimer and mountain dulcimer competitions in the same year). He's one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet. Anyway, I had him build me a custom 3-string dulcimer and I got it in July. It is fabulous. A really nice, warm tone with great sustain and intonation. The sound this thing puts out is beautiful. It has a curly sassafras top and walnut back and sides, with sapwood and figure. It has a bubinga rosewood fretboard overlay and a passive pick-up installed. Everything I wanted and needed. The pictures don't do it justice, but I tried my best. I just wanted to share this, as you don't see too many of his dulcimers here, but the dulcimers he builds are outstanding.

updated by @susie: 07/31/23 09:05:21PM