About to start my first kit, any advice?

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
6 years ago
1,084 posts

KenH already told you what I would tell you. Have fun putting it together. The kit makes a very nice dulcimer. Take your time. Don't hurry your work. And if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Joolsy
Joolsy
@joolsy
6 years ago
7 posts
Thanks Ken, that's really helpful.
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
6 years ago
2,124 posts

Hi Jools;

I've assembled, or helped assemble several of those kits, as have others here.  If I remember correctly, the only real "hard" part is assembling the top with the space between the two planks; and that's not difficult. 

My one suggestion is to use an appropriate size of Forstner bit, and a rasp, to open up the bottom of the tuning head slot, before starting assembly with it.  As it comes, that slot is three sided -- two sides and the bottom.  But as a player with many years experience stringing and re-stringing dulcimers, an "open" slot makes it a lot easier to run the string ends through the holes in the tuning pins preparatory to tuning.  A few stabbed fingers will convince you too!  The head works just fine without a bottom, many people make them that way.  There's never enough string pressure to both anything.  

Joolsy
Joolsy
@joolsy
6 years ago
7 posts

Hi everyone

I finally get my Folkcraft walnut teardrop dulcimer delivered to me here in the UK on Tuesday.

I intend to start building it soon after Christmas.

I wondered if anyone has any advice to help me build it as best as possible. I'm used to working with wood as I've been making doors, windows, staircases etc for 30yrs, but this is a first.

Thank you

Jools