Song(s) for retirement

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
3 years ago
1,415 posts

I'm glad you all had a nice farewell party for your co-worker, Jost!  Yes, you have time to practice for New Year's Eve.  

jost
@jost
3 years ago
76 posts

Well in the end it turned out my musical skills are not enough to learn a new song in such a short time. Since I already can play it on the guitar I took my guitar to my coworkers farewell event. Even without the dulcimer he was quite happy about it and we had a nice farewell party. 

Thanks for your input, I guess I will practice the song the next months so I can play it on new years evening :)

jost
@jost
3 years ago
76 posts

Thanks Ken, he does the same thing as I: Maintaining Linux servers :) 

Thanks for the referece to Morgenrot but I think I'll stick with Auld Lang Syne. Finding the  three tunes and unterstanding their differences are a bit of hassle tbh. There are versions with 2/4, 3/4 or 4/4 rythm. 
Then they tend to be in different keys and  different notes as well krazyhair
Last but not least it's nearly impossible to find a tab-file to use MuseScores3 "dulcimer tab conversion". Guess I will have to do the tab by myself from the version in Peter Burschs (German guitar teacher and author) songbook "Folkbuch". 

I can already play Burschs tab on the guitar, so I have a reference how it should sound. And I have a combined guitar/dulcimer tab for usage with my brothers and mother. 

Best regards, Jost

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
3 years ago
2,111 posts

You didn't mention what it is you/he do for a living -- there are LOTS of "work songs" in the folk canon.    If nothing else, you could play him the old Austro-German cavalryman's lament Morgenrot which should be simple to learn.

Morgenrot, (Wilhelm Hauff, Friedrich Silcher) 1824 soldiers songs - YouTube

There is nothing wrong with Auld Lang Syne .  There are actually 3 similar-but-different tunes associated with the song.  I often play two of them together (noter & drone of course) to make a sort of "verse and chorus".  

updated by @ken-hulme: 10/18/21 08:48:58AM
jost
@jost
3 years ago
76 posts

Hello everybody,

one of my coworkers has his last working day next week. We will have a little farewell party. 

I'm thinking to play something for him. Sadly I don't know any song that would be fitting. 

Do you have any ideas and tabs? Song should be easy to learn and for noter/drone playing. 

One idea of mine is auld long syne but otherwise I'm lost.

Best regards, Jost.