David Massengill

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
one week ago
1,606 posts

@dusty Thank you for sharing-- another beautifully sad ballad in the old-time tradition.  

Here's one link with a bit of information on Mr. Massengill:

https://www.thevillagetrip.com/david-massengill/ 

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
one week ago
1,909 posts

That's really interesting.  He has a way talking that makes even the most mundane of details seem full of magic and wonder.

Does anyone know the song in the soundtrack from about 00:26 to about 1:27?  It has the same chord progression and almost the same melody as Banks of the Ohio.

I've always thought Banks of the Ohio was a beautiful song . . . well . . . except for the words, since its a murder ballad.

EDIT: Never mind.  I found it:

.




--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie

updated by @dusty: 09/21/26 08:08:31PM
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
one week ago
1,606 posts

I'm glad you enjoyed it, @shopdad! 

Shopdad
Shopdad
@shopdad
2 weeks ago
93 posts

Awesome story. Thanks for sharing

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
2 weeks ago
1,606 posts

@ken-longfield you're welcome!  It was shared on fb and I thought I'd share it here at FOTMD.  

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
2 weeks ago
1,447 posts

Thanks for sharing that Robin. It was very interesting.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
2 weeks ago
1,606 posts

How David Massengill got an Edsel Martin dulcimer: 

https://youtu.be/8M8ycobVd9A?si=XPCDFVnPOqXOg92F


updated by @robin-thompson: 09/21/26 11:53:57AM