Thanks Jim. I appreciate you comment.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

D. chitwood
D. chitwood
@d-chitwood
9 years ago
139 posts

I really do appreciate all of your answers. Life has been ridiculously busy lately, and since I am utterly new to playing an instrument and getting obsessed, I am finding I have many, many questions. when I read reviews of pics or mics or other things, often times, the reviewer is not a dulcimer player. I highly value the opinion of the experienced. Thank you again. 

Charles Thomas
Charles Thomas
@charles-thomas
9 years ago
77 posts

There are many USB microphones available for under $100, many for $50 and under. I use a Blue "Snowball", It's priced in the mid 50's, They also make one called the "Snowflake" that's in the mid 40's ( Amazon prices).

Jim Kirkwood
Jim Kirkwood
@jim-kirkwood
9 years ago
0 posts

Ken Longfield:
I'm coming in to this discussion a little late. I have a MacBookPro and use GarageBand to do audio recordings with the built-in microphone. In GB I choose the acoustic guitar setting and then adjust it by turning down the treble setting and turning up the bass setting. If you listen to the second scheitholt podcast at dulcimuse.com, I recorded the piece I played on my Mac. Ken "The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

I'm listening to it now.  Great job!

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
9 years ago
1,429 posts

I like to keep things as simple as possible.  :)

You could record with the microphone on your computer, save the file to convert to mp3, then attach the file to an email to your daughter. 

Sheryl St. Clare
Sheryl St. Clare
@sheryl-st-clare
9 years ago
259 posts

D, I don't worry about asking too many questions on FOTMD. If there ever was a place where you can put yourself out there, and get opinions and advice from seasoned players, this is it. question

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
9 years ago
1,090 posts

I'm coming in to this discussion a little late. I have a MacBookPro and use GarageBand to do audio recordings with the built-in microphone. In GB I choose the acoustic guitar setting and then adjust it by turning down the treble setting and turning up the bass setting. If you listen to the second scheitholt podcast at dulcimuse.com, I recorded the piece I played on my Mac.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Monica
Monica
@monica
9 years ago
64 posts

Its true you don't need garage band for mac, but the mac mic is very tinny.. thats i why i bought one.

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
9 years ago
2,126 posts

I don't think you need Garage Band.  I would think that your built-in camera should do the trick.  The built-in camera on your Mac should let you record yourself in video with passable sound in a quiet setting.  Won't be the greatest, but I've tried it on my PC and the concept works fine.  I would expect Mac to do better than a PC in this regard.

Tell your husband that I said the only dumb questiuons are the ones that never get asked or answered.  So far your questions here have been pretty on point.  There does come a time, however, when 'question overload' can occur, especially when some folks want instant gratification without doing any work themselves.  IMHO people learn better if they work to solve a problem rather than being given answers which were more than obvious.

Monica
Monica
@monica
9 years ago
64 posts

I went all out and bought a blue yeti, they are a little pricey but worth it in the long term. 

D. chitwood
D. chitwood
@d-chitwood
9 years ago
139 posts

Sheryl St. Clare:
D, you ask such good questions. I can't wait to see some answers to this one. 

blush  My husband thinks I ask too many questions. I have no doubt I drove my Mama half crazy. 

Sheryl St. Clare
Sheryl St. Clare
@sheryl-st-clare
9 years ago
259 posts

D, you ask such good questions. I can't wait to see some answers to this one. rolleyes

D. chitwood
D. chitwood
@d-chitwood
9 years ago
139 posts

What is the best way to record a song on a mac? I have heard the app garage band is good but don't I need a mic? And where should this mic be placed....how close? And...is there a particular inexpensive one you would suggest? 

I just want to record a song or two and share with my daughter who lives abroad. The recording app on my iphone barely picks up the sound at all. Thank you!

updated by @d-chitwood: 03/04/19 02:12:32AM