How to create your own mtn dulcimer tab?!

Ivan Bradley
Ivan Bradley
@ivan-bradley
8 years ago
31 posts

Paula, I'll echo the others here who've recommended TablEdit.  It's definitely a program that takes some time to learn, but once learned, it probably prints the best looking tablature of any of the programs out there.  I've found from using it a while that it's wise to set up your favorite formats as templates and use them over and over again.  Saves lots of setup time.  Another thing I usually do is enter a tune in another notation software package capable of exporting as midi (I use NoteWorthy Composer but there are plenty of others available), then I import the midi file into TablEdit.

All that said, you should probably consider the number of tunes for which you want tablature.  If it's ten or so you might want to rethink it.  Fifty or more, it's probably worth the time and effort.  Of course, you might start with a few, find you like the program, and decide to do more.

Take Dusty's advice and download the trial version.  Can't hurt, might help.

(BTW, Dusty, slick new avatar!)

updated by @ivan-bradley: 10/05/16 10:08:00PM
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
8 years ago
1,727 posts

Paula, there is indeed a manual for TablEdit, which you can get in digital form (and print out if you wish -- it's about 150 pages or so), but it is not very user friendly.  Stephen Seifert used to have a tutorial available on his website which shows him navigating the software and talking over his computer screen.  It is very useful, but I think he has moved it from his website to the Dulcimer School.  If you subscribe to the School you can find it there.

I have sometimes learned how to do things in Tabledit just by using Google, but here at FOTMD, we use the Arranging For Mountain Dulcimers Group to pose questions about TablEdit.  Answers usually come pretty quickly.

You may already know that you can get a free trial of TablEdit which allows you to compose up to 24 measures, I think. Give it a try. As Robin says, it is not very intuitive and takes a while to get used to, but it is really powerful and once you learn it you can tab arrangements pretty darn quickly.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie

updated by @dusty: 10/05/16 12:19:37PM
Paula Brawdy
Paula Brawdy
@paula-brawdy
8 years ago
53 posts

They don't seem to come with instructions or is there a book you can print?

Robin Clark
Robin Clark
@robin-clark
8 years ago
239 posts

Tabledit will do the job - but it does take a little time to get to know the programme.  It is a very capable programme but takes a bit of time and effort to learn to use it when you first start.

Paula Brawdy
Paula Brawdy
@paula-brawdy
8 years ago
53 posts

Okay, I have songs I want to put into mtn dulcimer tab.  I like the tab that has the regular staff and traditional notes above, and the mtn tab below .  In other words, I would like both...   What program should I use?   tabledit  or ABC or what... I need something ease to use as doing this tries my patience!!