sweetwater dulcimers

Lynn austin
Lynn austin
@lynn-austin
8 years ago
19 posts

You are right Barbara. George Haggerty of Jacksonville, VT. ( Sweet-water Dulcimers) is my friend, neighbor and dulcimer building mentor and has been handcrafting some of the sweetest sounding dulcimers I have ever heard for 30+ years. His trademark design are his offset hearts and vines. As you mentioned he makes hourglass as well as teardrop dulcimers. The quality of his dulcimers are top notch!

updated by @lynn-austin: 11/19/16 06:18:41PM
Barbara Lema
Barbara Lema
@barbara-lema
8 years ago
3 posts

p.s.  George Haggerty, Sweet-Water Dulcimers, makes teardrop and hourglass shaped instruments, as well as student models.

Barbara Lema
Barbara Lema
@barbara-lema
8 years ago
3 posts

Hi All - Sweet-Water Dulcimers are made by George Haggerty in Jacksonville VT.  My husband and I both have one of his teardrops - George makes a beautiful, sweet-sounding instrument!  Aubrey Atwater's primary dulcimer is one of George's.  George worked for FolkCraft when they were in CT, and runs the Dulcimer Daze August Festival in West Dover, VT, now in its 26th year.  Hope this helps.

IMG_0689.jpg
IMG_0689.jpg  •  161KB

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
8 years ago
2,126 posts

James is right, Paula.  Sweetwater markets Seagull guitars and the questionable Merlin "stick instrument".  There have been a number of complaints about the Merlin concerning less than accurate fret placement and other playability issues.   

Sweetwoods Instruments is Harpmaker Dave Lynch, a member here, who makes a wide variety of hourglass and teardrop dulcimers from his highly praised Student Model to his cherry and maple Performance model, as well as pretty much anything you can dream of as a custom dulcimer.

James Phillips
James Phillips
@james-phillips
8 years ago
87 posts

Paula, what you should be searching for is Sweet Woods dulcimers.  Sweetwater is an online music store that carries guitars, amps, and a whole lot of other stuff.   http://www.sweetwoodsinstruments.com/

Paula Brawdy
Paula Brawdy
@paula-brawdy
8 years ago
53 posts

Does anyone have an hourglass type dulcimer with a sweetwater label?   I googled to find info but only found the strumstick style.

I thought that and Indiana group made them?    I wondered about the quality and sound quality?    Just wondered what you can tell me.