And then peace fell.....

Lois Sprengnether Keel
Lois Sprengnether Keel
@lois-sprengnether-keel
7 years ago
197 posts

Oh Dusty Turtle, thank you for saying that!  My husky/malamute obviously dislikes my dulcimer playing.  I'm not sure if it's because he can't get my attention then or if it hurts his ears.  To make matters even worse, he seems to really enjoy my husband's banjo playing! 

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
7 years ago
1,073 posts

Wonderful, Dana. Thanks for sharing that story.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
7 years ago
1,720 posts

Sweet story, Dana. The animals howls when I play.  Nothing peaceful about it, I guess. I've been meaning to learn Larry's wonderful tune.

200w.webp#2-grid1

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
7 years ago
1,415 posts

Piper Lou sure is cute!  

Our rescue dog, Ariel-- we got her last Christmas Day-- will come lay in front of me sometimes when I play dulcimer.  Ari had been a stray in Columbus OH and was then at the dog pound.  The poor creature had some real physical maladies when the rescue pulled her from the pound-- who knows what all she'd been through?  In any case, she seems to like dulcimer music.  :) 

Kusani
Kusani
@kusani
7 years ago
134 posts

Great story.  nod    hmmm people go asleep when I play also..... 

D. chitwood
D. chitwood
@d-chitwood
7 years ago
139 posts

We have a new puppy. She is an English Shepherd and her name is Piper Lou. As you can imagine, chaos has reigned in the house since her arrival Sunday afternoon. Our other dogs are kindly tolerating her and also getting annoyed with her fuzzy self. 

This morning, I sat down and began playing Larry Conger's original tune, September on the Mississippi. It was like peace itself fell upon the room.

The lab layed down, the puppy layed down, and best of all and most important of all.....the other english shepherd who has been most annoyed...layed down directly in front of the pup, arms to arms, face to face, totally relaxed with an all-accepting posture and a 'I'm ready to play with you while we lie down face'.

Then they all fell asleep.

This isn't the first time I have seen the enchanting, mesmerizing song of the dulcimer totally change the atmosphere. Such a peaceful, restful tune. 

PIPER LOU.jpg
PIPER LOU.jpg  •  115KB

updated by @d-chitwood: 10/27/19 12:02:25PM