Remember Log In

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
6 years ago
2,246 posts

I'd like to add a couple of points to this thread:

1) Any time cookies are cleared or removed in your Browser, you will be logged out of most sites, even if you have the 'remember me' box checked.  Once you log in again, a new cookie will be created for making logging in easier.  If you have your browser set to not accept any cookies, then you will be needing to log in every time you visit FOTMD.  Likewise, if you share your computer, the same thing will happen if other users clear browser cookies. Also, the cookie settings on your tablet or phone will be different than the ones on your desktop, so you can't expect the exact same behavior across your devices.

2) This site is set so that if you don't delete your cookies and have the login 'remember me' box checked, then that particular device will keep you logged in for a certain number of days, or perhaps as long as a couple of weeks.  But it's not set to keep you logged in 'forever' (which is a good thing) ...so there will naturally be times every week or two where you WILL need to log in again when you visit.  This is normal. I find that I myself must log in at least once a week, even though i visit several times a day.

The 'remember me' checkbox is convenient, but if cookies are cleared on your browser you will be logged out despite that.  And the 'remember me' setting is only for a certain number of days, not 'forever'.  If you have the remember me checkbox checked and you still have to log in every day, then the suspect cause is likely that your browser cookies are somehow being cleared or not being allowed.

Hope this helps!

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990

updated by @strumelia: 05/06/18 12:04:18PM
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
7 years ago
2,246 posts

Great Patty!  Sounds like a logical detective path to pursue!  Do let me know if you find out the cause in the end, as it might help others later.  thumbsup

--
Site Owner

Patty from Virginia
Patty from Virginia
@patty-from-virginia
7 years ago
231 posts

Strumelia, I'll check with hubby. He may have cleared the cookies. He does like to do that. And now that you mention it, he has installed an update on our virus protection. The timing seems to coincide with that. Oh well, it's okay. I need to exercise this old brain, lol. I do appreciate your help!!! I will talk to my hubby smile

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
7 years ago
2,246 posts

Yes i see Patty. Do however check that last setting in Chrome concerning cookies, from my last post.  Cookies definitely play a part in auto-login stuff.

Know that many folks experience this 'not sticking auto login' that happens sometimes on various sites.  It happens to me on all kinds of sites from time to time, and I will never know exactly why.  You're not alone!  And then on a particular site after not working for a couple weeks it begins to 'stick' again and works fine for me for a few months.  I often have to re-login on ED, even though I have autofill/rememberMe checked there too.   
I do find that every time I clear all my browser cookies every other month or so as a housecleaning task, I have to manually type login to all sites online that I'm a member of, at least for the first time or two after cookie clearing.  I've come to expect that when clearing my browser cookies.  

--> one thought: is someone in your family doing a "clear cache, browsing history, and cookies" thing on your browser after they use your computer to go online?  People often do this for privacy.  This would definitely cause this issue, as it would wipe out your cookies that have been set to auto login on FOTMD. The symptoms jive.

I wish I could make it all work well for you!  One other thing to check (if you have the energy) might be your virus protection program, which theoretically could be overriding your Chrome settings in terms of auto-fill of login or passwords.

--
Site Owner

Patty from Virginia
Patty from Virginia
@patty-from-virginia
7 years ago
231 posts

It's okay. It probably helps my memory to keep typing in my password, lol. I do have to log out because I'm not the only one who uses this computer. Some of my family members will use it. I know they won't do anything weird on purpose but it's just best to log out. Thanks anyway!

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
7 years ago
2,246 posts

Patty, do you actually Log OUT each time you leave FOTMD?  I never do- I just leave the site without logging out, since I come here daily.  If you don't log out then ignore what I said.

I have that "keep me signed in" box checked on many sites I visit frequently.  And yet all of them (also ED for example) do have times every week or two when I go there and somehow need to log in again anyway.  This happens sometimes when I've cleared the cookies from my browser, but also happens at other odd times.  The cookies keep me logged in- once I clear cookies, I need to type in my login info on many sites at least the first time.

Can you also please check one other thing here in your Chrome settings?:

Under Settings... Advanced:

Go to "Content Settings"... then to Cookies... then

make sure the top option to ALLOW sites to set cookies is "ON", (make sure it's not set to "clear cookies when you quit your browser")

and also under the "Allow...Add" section add:  FOTMD.com

Then CLOSE and restart your Chrome browser and visit FOTMD.  The first time you will likely need to log in again, then tell Chrome to save the login if it asks.  Then I recommend you do not log OUT when you leave the site.  See what happens the next few times then, and let me know here if you would please.  crossfingers

--
Site Owner

updated by @strumelia: 07/26/17 10:01:22PM
Patty from Virginia
Patty from Virginia
@patty-from-virginia
7 years ago
231 posts

Auto Fill is on. It was never turned off. Auto Sign in is on and it was never turned off. FOTMD is listed as one of my saved passwords. Everything looks fine on my end. I have another site that I have my sign in information saved. I clicked on it and it worked fine. It's listed right underneath FOTMD in my Saved Passwords Auto Sign-In list. I just noticed this problem about two or three weeks ago. I wonder if you got an update and it's not liking my password. Who knows? All I know is that function of remember my log in no longer works for me.

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
7 years ago
2,246 posts

Patty, try checking the following setting in Chrome (because saving passwords and saving login info are two different things):

Go to your "Settings" in Chrome. then click the "Advanced" link at bottom to show more settings.
Under "Passwords and Forms", click the "AutoFill Settings"... and make sure you have that slider button set to "ON" to allow autofill logins.  Is yours set to "ON"?

In that same section, you may also want to 'add'  
https://fotmd.com/  to the list of allowed site addresses. (not sure if that's needed, it's not needed additionally for me in Chrome, but it can't hurt).

--
Site Owner

updated by @strumelia: 07/26/17 09:46:37AM
Patty from Virginia
Patty from Virginia
@patty-from-virginia
7 years ago
231 posts

Also, I just checked the other site where login is saved. It works just fine. I don't understand why that one works and the one for FOTMD doesn't. You would think if one is not working the other would not work either. Go figure. They both are saved on my Google settings. 

Patty from Virginia
Patty from Virginia
@patty-from-virginia
7 years ago
231 posts

I'm on a desktop and I use Google Chrome. I've not changed any settings except this morning to see if that made a difference and it didn't. I know on my settings it has my password saved for this site but when I come on this site my login is not saved here. Can not figure that out at all. It's okay I don't mind typing it but when it was working it sure was convenient.

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
7 years ago
2,246 posts

Patty, the checkbox is working correctly on the site.  However it is being overridden by a preference setting you have somewhere in your web browser- a setting that controls how your browser handles site cookies, auto-login settings, or passwords.  

You can change your browser setting so it will work as you prefer and save your login info automatically, ...but you'll have to find that setting first in your browser preferences.  Maybe I can help pinpoint it if I know your browser.  I assume you're on Windows, but what online browser do you use?  And.. are you on a desktop or tablet when this is occurring for you on fotmd?

--
Site Owner

updated by @strumelia: 07/25/17 10:11:26PM
Patty from Virginia
Patty from Virginia
@patty-from-virginia
7 years ago
231 posts

I checked the box to remember my log in and password but it no longer works even though the box is checked. I now have to type in my id and password each time I log on to this site. Why is this happening?