Newish Ginger tuned to "Gee, what exactly does that mean?"

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
7 years ago
2,111 posts

When we say "a dulcimer is tuned to G (or D or C)"  what we are most commonly referring to is not the key of the song being played (as Dusty so well explains), but the fact that unlike a chromatic instrument like a guitar, we tune the whole (mostly) diatonic dulcimer to a particular keynote.  The keynote of the dulcimer is, under most circumstances and with most tunings, the note that the bass string is tuned to.  

The Ginger instruments are designed and built to be pitched up higher -- G rather than D or C.  Think of it as a soprano rather than an alto or tenor voice.  That's not to say you can't put appropriate strings on it and play in C or B.  However, the tiny volume of the body means that the instrument won't resonate as good as possible when tuned down that low.

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
7 years ago
1,073 posts

Dana, sorry, I'm getting in to this discussion late. Dusty really covered everything in his posts. Here is the information on the Ginger from the McSpadden website: 4 String Ginger, Flat Peghead, Hourglass with Cherry top, back and sides.  Comes with a padded Teal nylon case.

McSpadden Ginger Models are smaller dulcimers with a 23 3/16” fretboard that can provide a high (Key of G) clear voice similar to that of a mandolin.  On request they can be set up in the Key of D to be used as a smaller standard dulcimer for players who have difficulty reaching positions on a standard size fretboard.  The voice remains bright and clear whichever key is chosen.  The standard setup is G-d-gg.  Optional setups are G-d-dd, D-A-dd, and D-A-AA.  Included are 6 ½ and 13 ½ frets, Teal nylon padded case, pick & noter and warranty.  When set up in Key of D a beginner instruction book is provided and for Key of G setups an extra set of strings is substituted for the book.  No case upgrade is available for the Ginger.  Other options available include:  Strap Buttons (Chrome, Black or Gold); Upgrade to Black or Gold Tuning Pegs; Squeakless Strings.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
7 years ago
1,720 posts

D. Chitwood: Thank you Dusty! That's some great info! Right now, I play mostly in CGC or C#G#C#. I love a lower tuning. Can I get a compensated bridge if I want to change it out? 

Dana, if you only change the tuning one note in either direction, you probably don't need any kind of bridge compensation.

I like those lower tunings for fingerpicking, but I also like higher tunings for flatpicking.   I would encourage you to play with your Ginger tuned to G and explore it for the different tone you get rather than trying to turn it into a standard dulcimer. And if you play with someone on a baritone dulcimer, the two of you will sound great because you'll both be tuned to the same key but one octave apart.  Yummy stuff!

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
7 years ago
1,720 posts

Dana, my previous post didn't really explain what a key is, and maybe that's what your initial question is.

Most songs center around a single note, a key tone (often referred to as the "tonic").  You can think of that as the home base of the song.  Oh the song will meander to other notes, but it will always come back to that home base. But you can also play that song with a different key tone or a different home base.  The meandering will move to different notes, but they will maintain the same relationships to each other and to the key tone.  Think of that home base as the key.  If you play a song with your home base on one note and I play the same song with a home base on a different note, we will sound OK individually, but we will clash when we play together. Each key comes with a set of notes that are likely to be used in that song and a set of chords that are likely to be used to accompany those notes.

When you use DAd tab to play while you are tuned GDg, it works because the relationships between the notes are the same.  However, you will not actually be playing in the key of D (with D as your home base or key tone); you will be playing in the key of G (with G as your home base or key tone).  So you will clash with dulcimers playing that same tab tuned DAd.

I hope that helps. If you want more, we should probably move to the Music Theory Group and start looking at the Circle of Fifths and other fun stuff that scares people unnecessarily.

--
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
D. chitwood
D. chitwood
@d-chitwood
7 years ago
139 posts

Thank you Dusty! That's some great info! Right now, I play mostly in CGC or C#G#C#. I love a lower tuning. Can I get a compensated bridge if I want to change it out?

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
7 years ago
1,720 posts

Dana, if you tune your Ginger to GDg, you can play everything you currently do in DAd.  You will sound great. You will be in a higher register and a different key.  Everything will be wonderful and you'll have fun. You can also tune to AEa and be in an even higher register.  

Unless you start to play with other dulcimers tuned DAd, that is, for then you will not be in the same key.  There are ways to play in G out of a DAd tuning and in D out of a GDg tuning, but that requires some more understanding of keys and the fretboard.

If you tune a Ginger to DAd you probably will need different gauge strings. McSpadden surely has recommendations for string gauges for a DAd Ginger and you can also use the Strothers String Gauge calculator , inputting the VSL and the desired tuning.  That calculator errs on the light side, so feel free to use strings slightly heavier than what it indicates.

When you buy a Ginger from McSpadden, they use a slightly different bridge for DAd or GDg tunings.  Can you switch tunings without a compensated bridge?  Yes, and you might find it plays perfectly well. If you have a sensitive ear, however, you might find the intonation slightly off.  If you want to tune your Ginger to DAd, then try it and see how it sounds.  If you notice an intonation problem, you will want to get a compensated bridge.

But you already have dulcimers tuned DAd.  Why not keep this one tuned GDg or AEa so that you can play in those keys and the higher register?  I think you'll find it a refreshing change.

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie

updated by @dusty: 08/17/17 08:25:27PM
D. chitwood
D. chitwood
@d-chitwood
7 years ago
139 posts

I just took possession of a Redwood/walnut ginger. It's very nice and has a great tone. It is tuned to G with an extra set of strings, 26, 14, 10. 

My question is...what exactly does the G tuning mean? I realize Mac has you get a compensated bridge if you want it tuned to D. But what does that actually mean?

Can I play DAD tab? How should I tune it? Do I need to change strings to play in DAD? 

Dusty? Ken? Looking for yall to chime in and let me know what exactly I have here. Thank you as always!

updated by @d-chitwood: 08/17/17 12:35:38PM