Playing Slurs

Jimmy G
Jimmy G
@jimmy-g
2 years ago
5 posts

Hey Dusty! Many thanks for your detailed reply. You nailed it! The slide is what I’m trying to execute and the video cemented it all together. I’m going to keep it handy when I’m ready for those techniques. Jimmy

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
2 years ago
1,729 posts

@jimmy-g, there are three left-hand techniques that can be used: hammer-on, pull-off, or slide.  They all involve moving between notes on the same string.

A hammer-on is used to move from one note to a note that is higher.  Strum or pick while fingering the first note and then push another finger down cleanly and deliberately to get the second note.

A pull-off is used to move from one note to a note that is lower.  You have to have both fingers in place first first, but then you strum or pluck while fingering the first note and then you pull off that string, plucking it slightly with the fretting finger as you let go.

A slide is used to move from a note to another note higher or lower. Fingering that first note, you strum or pluck and then literally slide your fretting finger from the first position to the second, holding your finger against the fretboard the whole time.

I think I once made a quick video explaining these techniques. If I can find it, I'll edit this post and add the link.

Edit: here is a video demo I made some years ago:

Obviously, my camcorder was not up to today's standards, but hopefully the video still has some value.

By the way, I consider these "legato" techniques rather than "slurs," but I think we are both talking about the same thing: how to smooth the transition between notes rather than rely on a new strum or pluck with the picking hand.

If you are playing with a noter, you can obviously employ the slide.  You can also employ the other techniques, too, if you rely for one of the notes on an open string.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie

updated by @dusty: 01/17/22 07:40:36PM
Jimmy G
Jimmy G
@jimmy-g
2 years ago
5 posts

Hello Ken and Jost…. Thanks for your replies! The slur is between different 8th notes. (Tuning DAD)

Playing on the cello, a slur between different notes means I continue to bow in the same direction while changing notes. A tie is between two of the same notes and just continues the time value and there is no interruption in the sound.

So I don’t know how to get two different pitches out of 1 strum. The music I’m working on is from Thomas Ballinger’s "Dulcimer Songbook."

Also, replying to your posts was a bit confusing and I’m not sure how I got to this place. So if you could please guide me in that again, that would be really helpful.

Thanks,

Jimmy

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
2 years ago
2,126 posts

Slur between two of the same pitch -- d-d?  Or different pitches d-g?

jost
@jost
2 years ago
77 posts

Do you have a sheet for the tune? Which Mode / Tuning do you try?

Jimmy G
Jimmy G
@jimmy-g
2 years ago
5 posts

There are several 8th note slurs in the MD piece I’m working on. Haven't got a clue how to play them. Help, please. Thanks, Jimmy