Bruce Cockburn

dcohen150
@dcohen150
2 years ago
4 posts

I also belong to the Cockburn Facebook group and received numerous responses to my inquiry about when Bruce first picked up the dulcimer. The consensus has been since the early '70s, but only on a few songs such as 1975's "Arrows of Light". The group admin, Daniel Keebler, who has known Bruce, since, like forever, posted this history byte... 

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=5488628841150568&set=p.5488628841150568&type=3

Tricia
Tricia
@tricia
2 years ago
6 posts

Thank you for the lovely pictures, new and old. I knew he played dulcimer, but did not see him do so the times I saw him in concert (in the 1980s). 

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
2 years ago
1,729 posts

I wish Bruce Cockburn had played the dulcimer when I saw him in concert in the early 80s.  I would have discovered the dulcimer as a teenager mrdance instead of as a tired, middle-aged manoldman .

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Frank Dudgeon
Frank Dudgeon
@frank-dudgeon
2 years ago
14 posts

Great photo. Thanks for posting it.

updated by @frank-dudgeon: 02/26/22 08:09:36PM
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
2 years ago
2,255 posts

Wonderful to see the same player over such a long time span, with a glimpse into the past again.

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
steve c.
steve c.
@steve-c
2 years ago
66 posts

Here is a early photo of Bruce playing the dulcimer.  He has played most of his life.

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
2 years ago
2,255 posts

If you click the link to "Forums" you will see various forums for different subjects, and you can pick the forum that applies for your new thread.
(and Thanks Dusty!)

I wonder how many years Bruce C. has played a dulcimer and not used it til now in his concerts? Cool.

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
dcohen150
@dcohen150
2 years ago
4 posts

Dusty, thanks for moving my forum post to the General category. I confess that, as a new member, I couldn't figure out how to post to the gmd. Advice welcomed!

dcohen150
@dcohen150
2 years ago
4 posts

dcohen150:

Bruce Cockburn played a mountain dulcimer last night in a concert that emanated and was livestreamed from Burlington, VT. I've seen him in concert innumerable times over the last 40 years and have never seen him play one. It sounded so sweet to these ears!

Frank Dudgeon
Frank Dudgeon
@frank-dudgeon
2 years ago
14 posts

Interesting.  I had no idea he played the dulcimer.  I was lucky to interview him years ago - I think in the 70's - on radio, and he was such a nice guy. And he played some stunning music in the interview too.  Good to hear he's still performing - always enjoyed him.

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
2 years ago
1,729 posts

That's really cool.  I saw Bruce Cockburn play show many years ago, but his only instrument was the guitar.  Had he pulled out a dulcimer I wouldn't have known what it was.

By the way, I moved this discussion to the General Mountain Dulcimer category since the Site Questions forum is for questions about how this site works. I hope that makes sense.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie

updated by @dusty: 02/25/22 08:01:15PM
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
2 years ago
1,429 posts

Wow, I would've loved to have heard!  

dcohen150
@dcohen150
2 years ago
4 posts

Bruce Cockburn played a mountain dulcimer last night in a concert that emanated and was livestreamed from Burlington, VT. I've seen him in concert innumerable times over the last 40 years and have never seen him play one. It sounded so sweet to these ears!