Can you identify this dulcimer

Knobby
Knobby
@knobby
2 years ago
4 posts

Here’s the description from the listing:

”Unfortunately I can't tell you much about this Instrument it was my Dads so I’m not sure if it was bought or he made it, whichever way it is a beautiful Instrument. One of the strings is missing and there is a soft leatherette bag which was made of it.

Low starting price due to the origin of the instrument.  Ideal I suppose if you’re curious to know what one plays and sounds like.”

It hasn’t sold yet; it was on a 24 hour listing and didn’t get any bids. It’s now back up on a 10 day listing, but still collection only.

updated by @knobby: 11/08/22 02:06:34PM
Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
2 years ago
1,073 posts

I ditto the "Doh!". I guess we will never know since it was an eBay sale and have no idea who sold it or may have purchased it.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
2 years ago
2,111 posts

Doh!   How did I miss that!  shrugger confusey zzz

So... yes, this is either a kit instrument built backwards, or someone's one-off 'mirror image'. Certainly not a commercial product.     I'd bet it's a kit of some kind built nose-to-tail.  The shallow-sloped tail end should actually be the shoulder below the tuning head, and the more rounded bout should be the tail!

Good thing you didn't buy this.  It may play OK, but it's only real value is as a curiosity.

John C. Knopf
John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
2 years ago
385 posts

I thought the same thing, Dusty!  Like the soundbox is inverted somehow.

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
2 years ago
1,720 posts

Interesting dulcimer.  Is it an optical illusion or is the upper bout wider than the lower bout?

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
2 years ago
1,073 posts

Okay. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Ken

Knobby
Knobby
@knobby
2 years ago
4 posts

I assume you either bought this used or someone gave it to you.”

No; It appeared on eBay here in the UK but unfortunately the seller won’t ship it and it’s not local to me.

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
2 years ago
1,073 posts

As usual, I agree with Ken. The inlay looks like a green heron to me, but could certainly be some other bird. Since you are inquiring, I assume you either bought this used or someone gave it to you. The use of ukulele friction pegs may place the date it was made somewhere in the 1970s when they were popular among one off or hobby builders.

Ken

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
2 years ago
2,111 posts

If there is no maker's label visible inside the bottom, below of the rear sound holes, chances are it is a personally-made instrument rather than a commercially made dulcimer.  Many personal instruments (better term than 'home made') which we make also have labels inside.   That fretboard inlay is nice, but is not like anything I've seen from the usual commercial builders. 

updated by @ken-hulme: 11/06/22 02:49:45PM
Knobby
Knobby
@knobby
2 years ago
4 posts

Hi folks,

Can anyone identify the likely make of the dulcimer in the pictures please? It has a distinctive inlay in the fretboard.

Or is it possibly home made?

Thanks

dulcimer 1.jpg
dulcimer 1.jpg  •  166KB

dulcimer 2.jpg
dulcimer 2.jpg  •  266KB