"Perfect" Edd Presnell dulcimer?

Salt Springs
Salt Springs
@salt-springs
2 years ago
207 posts

Well, they might be dated and ravaged by time, but then again so am I.  There is amazing stuff on those sites, especially for folk who like the music from the era of good old Alphonso X.  Jessica Comeau has a few Cantigua's on youtube that are great.

Curtis Carlisle Bouterse
Curtis Carlisle Bouterse
@curtis-carlisle-bouterse
2 years ago
15 posts

Unfortunately, my tech skills are medieval. My various websites have been ravaged by time and circumstance and no longer are current. I am, slowly, reluctantly, trying to update everything. Bear with me.

Salt Springs
Salt Springs
@salt-springs
2 years ago
207 posts

Wow Curtis..........I just read most of your website postings.........who knew?  There's enough material in there to keep anyone with an interest in music and all sorts of other things occupied for days.  I dare say anyone who reads your work would agree that your one of the hidden treasures on this site.  I going to post a link to it so that other people can read your material and not take my word for it.

https://curt.bouterse.com/

worthy

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
2 years ago
1,073 posts

Sounds like a great opportunity to me. If I were buying it, I would do so unfretted and install the frets myself.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
2 years ago
2,111 posts

Opportunity Knocking!

John C. Knopf
John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
2 years ago
385 posts

This sounds like quite an opportunity, Curtis!  I've never heard of such a thing before, unless you count the dulcimers that John Jacob Niles commissioned  which had no frets per his request.  I personally think he ruined them by fretting them his way, but that's just me talkin'..

updated by @john-c-knopf: 12/16/22 10:05:24PM
Curtis Carlisle Bouterse
Curtis Carlisle Bouterse
@curtis-carlisle-bouterse
2 years ago
15 posts

This is not exactly a sale but a query. I bought a walnut 3-string dulcimer from Edd Presnell in 1984 and asked him Not to fret it because of previous intonation problems. I had intended to fret it (with old-fashioned staples), or have it fretted professionally, but never did.

This would seem to be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for a serious collector-player. Is there any interest in having a vintage instrument from a famous maker which could be realized in perfect intonation (of your choice) or is this just an unfretted Presnell?

Serious inquiries and responses should write me at curt at bouterse dot com.

updated by @curtis-carlisle-bouterse: 12/18/22 08:42:17AM