Modern Mountain Dulcimers?

Jeannie in Paradise
Jeannie in Paradise
@jeannie-in-paradise
4 months ago
11 posts

I'm sorry to hear that David is no longer building dulcimers. I've owned two of his exceptional instruments.  I'm now trying to determine a fair price for the MMD koa chromatic that I still own (lost the other one in the Paradise Camp Fire), as I no longer play dulcimer.  I'd think the MMD dulcimers would hold their value well, but I've been told that chromatic ones "sell for less."  Hmmm?

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
4 months ago
1,729 posts

It's certainly sad for the dulcimer community that David is no longer making dulcimers.

I have a MMD made entirely of lacewood that I got from Aaron O'Rourke.  It has the lowest action of any dulcimer I've ever played.  That's the instrument that helped me develop what passes for my flatpicking technique.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Phil Myers
Phil Myers
@phil-myers
4 months ago
28 posts

Yes, it's true. A good friend of mine, John Hawk, has been the Modern Mountain rep for many years and he confirmed that David is no longer building dulcimers.

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
4 months ago
2,255 posts

I do vaguely remember reading in the past year or two that he announced he was retiring from making dulcimers.. sorry but I cannot recall eactly where I read that.

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Jeannie in Paradise
Jeannie in Paradise
@jeannie-in-paradise
4 months ago
11 posts

I read that David McKinney of MMD may have retired from making dulcimers?  Anyone know if that is true?  Thanks!