Bill Lewis
Bill Lewis
@bill-lewis
15 years ago
48 posts
Thank you Phil for the info. Next time i order strings i'll give your suggestions a try.Thanks, Bill
Phil Myers
Phil Myers
@phil-myers
15 years ago
28 posts
Bill, on juststrings site, click on guitar strings and then single strings. They will all be ball end. I use the juststrings brand for the melody and middle and Elixir for the bass (the phosphor bronze nanoweb coated are really nice!). The gauges I use are .012,.015,.024. You can order several at a time and save on shipping.
Bill Lewis
Bill Lewis
@bill-lewis
15 years ago
48 posts
Thank you Rod.Bill
Rod Westerfield
Rod Westerfield
@rod-westerfield
15 years ago
109 posts
Bill you want plain steel in the small sizes .010, .012., etc..... the .022 that's where you have several choices... you can have nickel or bronze wound... I prefer the sound of bronze wound... also you can get string that are coated to help make them not squeak so bad.. (Elixir is on brand) that is what I personally use... hope this helps..
Bill Lewis
Bill Lewis
@bill-lewis
15 years ago
48 posts
Okay, HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP. Now that i got your attention, looking at the juststring.com site, i get totally confused. Which isn't hard sometimes. It has bulk strings in plain,steel coated and so on. I just want a size .10, .12 .14, and .22 gauge strings. Could someone help me out. Thanks alot.Bill
Bill Lewis
Bill Lewis
@bill-lewis
15 years ago
48 posts
Thanks, i know they are not specifically made for Dulcimers. Just couldn't remember if it was Banjo or what other strings would work. Thanks againBill
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
15 years ago
2,252 posts
Hi Bill,String 'sets' for dulcimers aren't really strings that are make just for dulcimers. They are simply strings of a standard length (either ball end or loop end) that are selected to form a certain set of gauges that would be appropriate for a dulcimer. Such sets of strings are the same kind of strings they would use to put together a set of strings for the banjo- since they are the same length...just different gauges (thicknesses).Thus, if you know what gauges you like on your dulcimer, you can simply order like 6 or ten single strings of each thickness. It actually comes out much cheaper this way.Last time I got strings, I ordered a 'pack' of ten loop end banjo strings of the .010 gauge, for example. now I have plenty whenever I break a melody string! :) All these 'banjo' strings are the VERY SAME strings they use to put together sets of dulcimer strings.So you could order their single ball end banjo strings in whatever quantities you want, and just put together your own 'sets' of dulcimer strings. ;) TIP- order twice as many melody strings- they break most often.

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Bill Lewis
Bill Lewis
@bill-lewis
15 years ago
48 posts
Thanks Ron, i'll give them a holler.Bill
Bill Lewis
Bill Lewis
@bill-lewis
15 years ago
48 posts
I tried juststrings.com, they do not carry ball end strings for Dulcimers. Anybody have a source for them.ThanksBill
updated by @bill-lewis: 06/08/16 09:24:05PM