wood dulcimer cases

chuck queisser
chuck queisser
@chuck-queisser
11 years ago
15 posts

Looks great!! You will like a suitcase handle better you can get them at Ace Hardware for under $5.00. I made two wood cases out of 1/4" luan will post pictures.

Kevin Messenger
Kevin Messenger
@kevin-messenger
11 years ago
86 posts

Thanks ken. John P I ordered a suitcase like handle ,but. it has yet to arrive, I will see if I can make it work once it gets here.

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
11 years ago
1,090 posts

Good looking case there Kevin.

john p
john p
@john-p
11 years ago
173 posts

Looks very solid Kevin, think I'd have gone for a more 'comfy grip' handle though Smile.gif Like the divider idea.

john

Kevin Messenger
Kevin Messenger
@kevin-messenger
11 years ago
86 posts

I just thought I would show you all my new case. I build dulcimrs to sell ,and when going to gatherings I need to carry a lot of dulcimers. This one holds two. 378_forums.jpg?width=721 379_forums.jpg 380_forums.jpg?width=721

John C. Knopf
John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
11 years ago
389 posts

Burrell,

That's how I make wooden cases -- build the whole box, then slice off the lid. It'll fit perfectly every time.

I haven't made box joints at the corners, though that's the best way to fasten them.

I generally use either 3/8" solid poplar or 1/4"- 3/8" plywood for the edges, and 1/8" plywood for the top and bottom pieces.

I wrap the raw box piece exteriors with thin vinyl sheet goods, usually black, and glue/staple the edges all around.

Then the rigid-foam interior is added and cut to accommodate the instrument. The foam is then covered with Fun Fur or flannel material and trimmed. Sometimes I add a flap lid in one corner for an accessories area.

Then 3 or 4 small brass hinges are added, 2 draw catches and a handle.

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
11 years ago
1,090 posts

Thanks Chuck. It was made of 1/4 inch plywood. I used the panels from a hollow core door to create the lip. It was originally painted yellow and then I changed it to brown. If I ever took all of those stickers off it would probably fall apart.

chuck queisser
chuck queisser
@chuck-queisser
11 years ago
15 posts

I like it, sure protects your dulcimer well. Must be well built to last this long.

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
11 years ago
1,090 posts

Last one:

377_forums.jpg?width=721

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
11 years ago
1,090 posts

Even more: 375_forums.jpg?width=721 376_forums.jpg?width=721

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
11 years ago
1,090 posts

More: 373_forums.jpg?width=721

374_forums.jpg?width=721

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
11 years ago
1,090 posts

Okay, if finally found time to take some pictures of my case. I have used it for almost 40 years. Here they are: 371_forums.jpg?width=721 372_forums.jpg?width=721

chuck queisser
chuck queisser
@chuck-queisser
11 years ago
15 posts

Sure would like to see the one you built and I will get pictures of mine. The one I saw did not have metal hinges on it, a belt was used and leather belts were used for latches. Hardware is getting expensive, the one case I made has over twenty dollars worth of hinges, latches and corner protecters.

chuck queisser
chuck queisser
@chuck-queisser
11 years ago
15 posts

Sure would like to see some examples some homemade wood dulcimer cases.

updated by @chuck-queisser: 08/02/23 03:23:01AM