Eileen
Eileen
@eileen
10 years ago
19 posts

Hi Just found this thread, but it looks like it's a bit dated. Good to see some discussion of recorders with MDs and other instruments. I play soprano, alto, tenor, bass, and sometimes even the sopranino with a little group of us who get together most weeks, and even occasionally "in public". I am really interested in playing my new and as yet unpracticed-enough-to-play dulcimer (and maybe a rebec when I get one) with our recorder ensemble. Would like to hear from others what musical arrangements they've found that work with these instruments together, especially medieval, renaissance, and folk/world music. Good luck finding practice time - always the trick!

Ruth Lawrence
Ruth Lawrence
@ruth-lawrence
11 years ago
41 posts

Hi Gayle, A couple of months ago I bought a cheapie soprano recorder because I was in a musical Godspell performed at church over Easter and one of the songs has a recorder solo in it which I volunteered to do. I had played it as a kid so it was interesting to pick it up after 30? years. Had to google the fingering but I was practising a scale and the muscle memory clicked in and it just felt "right" in how I was holding it. Funny how that never goes away! I have decided to try the alto recorder and the pennywhistle as well. This is just to annoy the neighbors you know...the dulcimer just wasn't loud enough for the job :D

Through Half Price Books I've purchased The Recorder Book byKenneth Wollitz which has very positive online reviews.

Kathy Wilson
Kathy Wilson
@kathy-wilson
11 years ago
5 posts

Kind of late to this conversation. I play recorder: soprano, tenor, and bass. Tull Glazener let me play the bass in a jam, and it was pretty neat.

I have 4.5 hours of recorder practice with other players per week. Wish I could get that for dulcimer.

Susie
Susie
@susie
12 years ago
500 posts

I "play" the soprano recorder and the tinwhistle. They are great little instruments and sound nice with the dulcimer. My problem is I don't give them enough time. I'm too busy with my fretted/stringed instruments. But, I haven't given up on them. I'm trying to devote more time to them. The soprano recorder is fingered very similarly to the alto sax, which I played in jr and senior high school. So that helps me alot. So is the tin whistle. I just picked up a new tin whistle from Guy George, which I'm hoping will help me progress more, as it's a better whistle than what I had.My husband made me a tin whistle "case" to protect it, made from pvc. It's really cute and very practical. I call it my "tunes in a tube"!

phil
@phil
12 years ago
129 posts

I play arecorder too. well not as much now days. I still get it out from time to time and mess around. May be time to starte to play it again. Oh I also play Native American Flute.

Ivan Bradley
Ivan Bradley
@ivan-bradley
12 years ago
31 posts

Hi, Gayle, I've played recorders for about 50 years now and, yes, they do blend well with dulcimers. Generally speaking, recorders come in "C" and "F" variations, alternating between the sizes (Soprano-C,Alto-F,Tenor-C, etc.). This is what causes the difference in fingering. Good luck with your learning!

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
12 years ago
1,429 posts

Gayle, I used to play recorder a bit but haven't given it a go in years. I look forward to hearing your mix with dulcimer and recorder!