Ländler and Boarischer

Kavik
Kavik
@kavik
6 years ago
8 posts

Yep, a few transcription errors - In the second part, measures 2 and 6 begin with 0-5-7; not 0-5-4. In the Trio, fourth measure, last sixteenth note should be 4-x-5; not 4-5-7. 

Kavik
Kavik
@kavik
6 years ago
8 posts

In playing the attached file below last night, it sounds like I made a few transcription error in some of the measures. I'll take a look at it again over the weekend and post a corrected version next week. Hope to also have a few others done. 

Kavik
Kavik
@kavik
6 years ago
8 posts

No, I don't think the raffele, if memory serves, has a 6+ fret, but the tuning is different (DAA), so a 6+ is probably not needed - I transcribed it for a DAD tuning. I suppose I should try a few of these out in a DAA tuning just to see how different the fingering (and sound) is, though I suspect I may need a 1+ which my dulcimers do not have. I've noticed on a few other's I'm transcribing that if they're played "up to speed", fingering can get a bit tricky. Maybe that won't be the case in DAA.  

Yes, there are a few 'note forms' that have an intended dissonance. I think that dissonance is a bit more obvious with just the dulcimer. I don't think you hear it quite so much when there's an accompanying instrument.   

I'm not 100% sure, but I think most Boarischer have a key change around the second part. 

I've heard a few examples of the Raffele Schottische - that's a more typical tune for the raffele, i.e. with the strumming across all the strings - a cool tune! 

Ron Zuckerman
Ron Zuckerman
@ron-zuckerman
6 years ago
6 posts

The notation looks fine to me. I do have a question about the trio section. There are several instances of 4 6+ 4. The 6+ on the middle string corresponds to a G#, which is quite dissonant against the A (4) on the melody and bass strings. Is that intended? Also you mentioned that the Raffele has not 6+ fret.

I like the way it changes key between G and D, and it looks like it is a fun tune to play. There is a contemporary tune called "Raffele Schottische" that also changes key every section and has a similar structure. I did a video of this about a year ago:

Kavik
Kavik
@kavik
6 years ago
8 posts

Here’s a very simple tune I transcribed to dulcimer TAB (tuning is DAd).

It’s not quite what I mean by playing a tune in the style of a zither – this tune, “Boarisch aus Reutte” comes from a tune book written for the mountain dulcimer’s Alpine cousin, the “raffele”. The raffele also has three strings, but typically tuned a’ a’ d’. The fretboard is almost the same as a dulcimer, but does not have the 6+ fret (but does have a 1+ fret) – going by memory here.

Typically played by strumming across all strings with a soft plectrum. Tunes are usually marches but can also be slower ones as well. Accompaniment is usually with classical guitar or Steirische Harmonika (Styrian accordion – a type of button accordion).

The tune is a Boarischer, a type of traditional Alpine dance tune. Played through two parts, then back to the first part, then the “trio” to end.

I ‘finger-pick’ this, but it may sound better with a pick.

As I mention, this is a very simple tune and was chosen as sort of an exercise to see what transcribing zither/raffele tunes would sound like on dulcimer.

I’d welcome any suggestions in the notation.

Hope to have some Landlers done soon – working through a few now – these are more zither-like rather than the raffele.  

Kavik
Kavik
@kavik
6 years ago
8 posts

Yes - I'm familiar with his playing via the old "Everything Dulcimer" site - I have a few of his books and tabs. 

Ah, okay - don't think I've ever heard of it referred to by that term. I'll check out the link.

Thanks

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
6 years ago
1,729 posts

Kavik, the YouTube videos you posted in your message below are of @Mark-Gilston, who is an active member here.  He is a professional musician who posts videos here regularly and also offers lessons, CDs, and books of tab.

Most of us refer to that style of playing the dulcimer as chord/melody.  Many of us play in that style, or a related style that involves more single notes and fewer block chords that we might call flatpicking.  In fact, there is a whole Group here devoted to Modern Chord Style Players .

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Kavik
Kavik
@kavik
6 years ago
8 posts

Here's a few examples of a MD being played in the style of a zither - 

The first is called "Ruhpoldinger"; it's a type of dance known as a Schuhplattler (an Alpine dance where the men will slap their knees, legs, and bottom of the shoe).

Second is the Zillertaler Ländler - a well-known Ländler.

Hope the links work. 

Here's an example of one I'm working on for MD - if you click anywhere on the notes, it should download a midi file with how it sounds on a piano.

https://volksmusik.cc/volkstanz/aberseerlandler.htm

If you search for Aberseer Landler on YouTube, you'll get several examples of how it's played. This song, as well as many Landler, is also a "Gstantzl" - a type of formulaic singing pattern that goes with a Landler with an accompanying "Platscher" - hand-clapping pattern. 

Ariane
Ariane
@ariane
6 years ago
50 posts

Hi Kavik, just to have a more concrete idea of it - could you perhaps give me a sound sample for in a style that is similar to zither  ?

I am looking forward to the tabs.

Kavik
Kavik
@kavik
6 years ago
8 posts

Oh - should have clarified - both are folk-music styles from southern Germany and Austria. A Boarisher is somewhat similar to a polka and a Ländler sort of like a fast waltz. 

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
6 years ago
2,126 posts

Sounds interesting, although I had to go look up what  ländler and boarischer were.  Keep us posted!

Kavik
Kavik
@kavik
6 years ago
8 posts

Hello, 

Wondering if anyone here plays ländler and/or boarischer on MD in a style that is similar to zither? I've been kind of playing around with a few - I have a great resource, but the notation is essentially for melody and countermelody (two 'voices'). You kind of have to tab it out and then play around with it and develop a baseline. I'm trying to play these in a style reminiscent of the zither. 

Just wondering if anyone has tried something similar? Once I have the few worked out, I'll try uploading the TABS.