Cicada symphony.

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
yesterday
2,259 posts

@davisjames , if the cicadas are singing in the note of E, then they should harmonize nicely in a 'fifth' interval with the key of A.  (Think of how fiddles are sometimes cross-tuned to AEAE)  Can you test this theory by playing something in the key of A against your cicadas?  Also, supposedly most telephone landline dial tones are set to the note of A, so that would be an interesting test as well, to see if they harmonize well together.  👂🏼 🙌🏻

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
6 days ago
2,259 posts

I imagine that different species of cicadas 'sing' at different note pitches. music

--
Site Owner

DavisJames
DavisJames
@davisjames
6 days ago
16 posts

That is brilliant!As far as I can tell,the cicadas are hovering around,"E"....I eagerly await mountain dulcimer collaborations with cicadas this year...

Karen B
Karen B
@karen-b
2 weeks ago
3 posts

Ken Kolodner wrote a great piece in honor of the cicadas during the last invasion that he plays here on the hammered dulcimer.

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
2 weeks ago
2,259 posts

It would be interesting to see what keys sound good against a solid backdrop of cicadas! Most sounds do have a key they are in if you listen carefully. Such as telephone dial tones or train whistles. I do know that different species of cicadas have slightly different sounding 'calls'. I love cicadas- the nymphs look prehistoric as they climb up tree trunks, and the adults are spectacular and beautiful.

--
Site Owner

DavisJames
DavisJames
@davisjames
2 weeks ago
16 posts

Apparently the U.S. is getting a a huge infestation of Cicadas this year,Canada less so.They drone like crazy.Once in a lifetime opportunity,play with the cicadas.Outdoors.