410 posts

Wally, here's Lois' TMB with the handle attached to the player's side:

Keel TMB.jpg

Wally Venable
Wally Venable
@wally-venable
one month ago
83 posts

Here's a picture of the Walmart door handle I just installed on my TMB.

Because I built it with traditional 1/2 inch thick faces, the TMB weighs about 11 pounds. The handle is a big help in carrying it.

I put in on the playing side which helps in putting it on a table. My guess is that a lot of TMDs were used on tables. It also makes it less of a focus for and audience.

Handle-FOTMD.JPG
Handle-FOTMD.JPG  •  229KB

Richard Streib
Richard Streib
@richard-streib
one month ago
244 posts

That TMB looks mighty good John.

John C. Knopf
John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
one month ago
410 posts

Thanks, Wally!  I actually DID put a metal door handle on one I built for one of our members here, Lois S Keel.  She gives presentations dressed as a schoolmarm and wanted one of these to play when she performs.  And it was finished with walnut stain.  Looks real nice!  I've painted checkerboards on the back of a couple, too.

Wally Venable
Wally Venable
@wally-venable
one month ago
83 posts

I'll bet it sounds reel good! It looks almost authentic.

Why don't these things have screen door handles on one side? They are heavy. I've been thinkin' about screwin' one to mine.

I think the authenticity would be better if it was finished with red or black barn paint, but that can be a buyer installed option..

John C. Knopf
John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
one month ago
410 posts

This music box is still available for purchase now.  It's a tribute to an older time in dulcimer history.

John C. Knopf
John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
2 months ago
410 posts

This new solid-poplar Tennessee music box is offered for sale.  This is a replica of heavy, primitive dulcimers produced just after the Civil War in south-central Tennessee.  David Schnaufer was crazy about these things and made a video of several old ones, and collaborated on an article about them and their history. You can read more and see a video on my website of a guy playing one with a violin bow!  knopfdulcimers.com

The list price for these is $375, but I'll sell it to you for $300 plus shipping.  How's that?

TMB 8_24 A.JPG
TMB 8_24 A.JPG  •  62KB

TMB 8_24 C.JPG
TMB 8_24 C.JPG  •  122KB