Everyone knew the dulcimer!!!!

Mandy
Mandy
@mandy
10 years ago
140 posts

Some interesting stories y'all. Thanks for sharing them. It is really neat to see how people respond to the mtn. dulcimer and it's wonderful to see so many who do "know the dulcimer".

Grin.gif

Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
10 years ago
399 posts

I just wish all of us could go at the same time--what a great jam that would be! How fortunate it is, Mandy that you now live so close.

I can't exactly answer this question, Mandy, since I don't do public concerts. I do remember, however, that at Stephen Seifert's premier with the Tucson Symphony (where he had an 18 min. solo)in Feb. 2012, he gave a little information about the instrument, which was new to most of the season ticket holders in attendance. He then asked for a show of hands in the audience for whoPLAYED this instrument and there was a collective gasp from the season ticket holders as hands went up ALL OVER! This Feb. concert had sold out back in August, as dulcimer players from all over the country tried to get a ticket if they could work out a way to get to Tucson. The afterglow and jam up north of Tucson that night was so much fun! I always love getting together and sharing music with people from different locales. I hope we can get together sometime!Smile.gif

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." Henry Van Dyke
Dana R. McCall
Dana R. McCall
@dana-r-mccall
10 years ago
168 posts

I find a mix of people...some know what it is and some are like what the heck is that! But once you play everyone loves it. It just has that affect on people. I still remember the first time I ever heard one, don't think I'll ever forget. had to have one then and to play not to hang it on a wall. Been in love with it ever since. Hey It's good to hear from you again girl, it's been a long time. Dana

Mandy
Mandy
@mandy
10 years ago
140 posts

My husband and I played a morning concert at the John C. Campbell Folk School this morning and had a great time. Cool thing happened though. I have been really wanting to play the dulcimer for folks, so I practiced up a couple tunes and brought it this time. I asked everyone (around 50 people) if they knew what it was as I held it up in the air. Most shook their heads yes and someone even said "it's a dulcimer". AWESOME! Then I gave a short little history of the instrument and played for them.

In most of my interactions with different people I really don't have a bunch who know what it is or even what it's called. It was just a breath of fresh air to be in such a concentration of folks who were familiar with it.

So to start a discussion about this - how do you find you are received when you bring out your dulcimer? Do they know what it is?

updated by @mandy: 08/03/23 02:09:02PM