Protecting skin

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
7 years ago
1,720 posts

Ouchdoh !  Perhaps, when you heal a bit, you can try some fingerpicking. No picks needed.

I hope you heal quick and painlessly.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Lois Sprengnether Keel
Lois Sprengnether Keel
@lois-sprengnether-keel
7 years ago
197 posts

At the end of last week I broke my wrist -- the right, dominant, strumming hand.  Can tell that, once the pain eases up, the switch to thumb picks will let me play.  Turns out to be a good idea for more than just the original reason

Lois Sprengnether Keel
Lois Sprengnether Keel
@lois-sprengnether-keel
7 years ago
197 posts

Tried 2 of Tom's picks.  The skinny little grey one is perfect.  Can strum back and forth and it also helps for a bit more volume.  Sorry I don't know who makes it.

finger picks.JPG.jpg

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
7 years ago
1,720 posts

Lois, fingerpicks like these would protect your skin. I use metal ones like them for the autoharp. You might not be able to strum in both directions with them, though.

The new skin stuff Ken speaks of is the liquid bandage that you can find in any pharmacy.   It's a good product to keep around anyway, should you ever get a cut or nick on a part of your body that moves a lot.  You can continuously apply more and more as it wears off. My cousin's cello teacher told him to put it on his fingertips when his fingers were worn out from playing so that he could play some more. I use it regularly, but for medical, not musical reasons.

--
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie

updated by @dusty: 01/15/17 01:38:58PM
Lois Sprengnether Keel
Lois Sprengnether Keel
@lois-sprengnether-keel
7 years ago
197 posts

My husband's banjo picks might be worth a try.  It would be an adjustment as I've been using the nails of my fingers (I, M, R).  Quick Dumb Question, Ken, how does Liquid Skin do if you apply it repeatedly?  It would be if I continued using those finger nails.

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
7 years ago
2,111 posts

Dusty has a great idea;  I'e used the Herco brand Thumb-Flat pick for years.   If you like the softer sound of a bare thumb, try painting your thumb with "Liquid-Skin" or something similar.  Even a bit of Superglue will protect the skin -- just keep your fingers apart until it drieshot

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
7 years ago
1,720 posts

Lois, I assume the pick you are talking about is a flatpick, right?  Have you tried a thumbpick?  Since it fits on your thumb you don't have to hold it very tightly and maybe it wouldn't bother your arthritis as much. Just a thought.

I am thinking of something like this or this .

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie
Lois Sprengnether Keel
Lois Sprengnether Keel
@lois-sprengnether-keel
7 years ago
197 posts

A pick tends to create arthritic pain, so I've been using my hand for strumming.  I try to use just my fingernails, but often get the skin on my first knuckles.  Is there something to protect my skin besides improving my aim?