Any experience with dip joint sterling silver splints?

D. chitwood
D. chitwood
@d-chitwood
7 years ago
139 posts

Well how 'bout that! I'll be trying that out!

Salt Springs
Salt Springs
@salt-springs
7 years ago
207 posts

Since I had never heard of those gizmo's and checked them out they appear to be fancy silver wire wrapped around a joint to keep the little stinker from moving.   And, since I am as cheap as they come decided to see if you could fashion a home made one.  Went to the garage, stripped a piece of heavy Romex wire that seemed to be the correct thickness, cut it, fashioned a ring like the ones I found pictured....works like a charm, nice shinny copper for a total cost of about .75 cents.  You can also use those aluminum wires you tie chain link fencing to the galvanized posts.  Or if all else fails, come over to the dark side, which is actually the inaccessible brilliance of Noter play hidden from the world.   winker

updated by @salt-springs: 04/06/17 08:11:42PM
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
7 years ago
1,727 posts

Hi Dana. Basically, I've never taken a video down, not even the first ones I posted which I could play a lot better now. You can follow my progress as a player by watching the videos in order.  I also have a some instructional videos that aren't public, meaning you have to have the specific URL to find them.  Here and there in my postings at FOTMD or at my local group's website , you can find demos of tunes or instructional stuff on one technique or another.  Anyway, I'm glad you enjoy my videos. If you ever have a question about how to play one of the tunes, let me know.

There are so many great luthiers out there.  Too many dulcimers. Too little time and money.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie

updated by @dusty: 04/06/17 06:26:07PM
D. chitwood
D. chitwood
@d-chitwood
7 years ago
139 posts

ROFL!! I'll keep that in mind! Dusty, you entertained my husband and myself last night with your playing. I like to pull up different videos with all of your massive collection (seriously, how many are you up to??) Every time I think I've found some wonderful luthier, I see you beat me to the punch. I basically want all of the ones you own.

Do you have a will? Children?  :) :) 

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
7 years ago
1,727 posts

Those ring splints do look kind of cool, Dana, but they also cost.  The tape is cheap. I would stick with it, especially since it has worked for you in the past.

By the way, anytime I am tempted to post about pain in my fretting hand that prevents me (temporarily) from playing, I anticipate a message from Ken extolling the virtues of the noter.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
D. chitwood
D. chitwood
@d-chitwood
7 years ago
139 posts

Hahaha, you're funny, Ken. Not coming to the dark side. I have noters but taping has made the world of difference. I can play for hours and hours and have no pain the next day. Immobilizing is what needs to happen and the tape works, just didn't know if anyone had used the finger ring splint things.

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
7 years ago
2,123 posts

D -- you just need to come over to the Dark Side!  I'll send you a noter so you can get started; it's free (and pain free), not a spendy silver wire magic ring . . .

dulcimer

updated by @ken-hulme: 04/06/17 04:44:32PM
D. chitwood
D. chitwood
@d-chitwood
7 years ago
139 posts

I have a bit of arthritis in the first joint of my middle finger/left hand. The more I chord, the more irritated it gets, so I tape it to immobilize it. I just saw on a few sites these sterling silver wired finger splints. They almost look like cool rings that can be worn down on that dip joint. 

Has anyone ever used one? How well does it work to immobilize the joint? I'm not giving up playing for sure, but I need to get creative on holding that one joint in place!