What songs are familiar to today’s young kids?

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
5 years ago
2,252 posts

Sharon that's a great question. I guess it's hard to know for sure unless you have little kids or grandkids around to ask!

It's reassuring to read Dusty's reply, that many of the same songs are still taught today in school.  sun

If that's so, then you might find some good ideas in this old forum thread:

music-discussions/what-songs-were-you-taught-in-kindergarten-grade-school

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
5 years ago
1,727 posts

It's mostly the same tunes, but with updated lyrics.  Instead of "If you're happy and you know it clap your hands" you have to sing "If you're happy and you know retweet this meme."  ROTFL

Seriously, my kid was in kindergarten about a decade ago, and the songs were basically the same as when I was a kid.  In fact, you're giving me a good idea for a "Call the Tune" for any songs for kids.  We could all share our ideas for good songs for kids.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
5 years ago
1,425 posts

@Sharon-Day Great question!  I know what songs I've sung to/with a little niece or nephew yet have no clue what songs kindergarteners today know.  

Sharon Day
Sharon Day
@sharon-day
5 years ago
1 posts

I’m going to be teaching mountain dulcimer at our library’s Kids Fair?   Do today’s kids still know Aunt Rhody?  Twinkle, twinkle?  Mary had a Little Lamb?    My question is what songs do doday’s Kindergarteners (and beyond) sing?  I’d like to teach them to play songs that they know.

updated by @sharon-day: 10/27/19 12:02:25PM