hugssandi
@hugssandi
4 years ago
244 posts

Hazel and I love to play and sing this...  We should record for fun, maybe?  Not because we're good, just because it's a favorite!

IRENE
IRENE
@irene
5 years ago
167 posts

I used to sing this song when I sang and played guitar in a pizza parlor in Canada when my husband was in premed school.  I was paid more in 1/2 hour of singing then working all day.....I just loved this song, but was not my life....being so happily married and with our new baby girlie.  That was 54 years ago.   sigh....time flys.  but my love for that tune never wains.   I sang many of Joan Baez's songs.  I loved all of the Child Ballads...and old folks songs. aloha, irene

RonD
RonD
@rond
5 years ago
10 posts

Yes Dusty, I just saw Chris Thile yesterday as a matter of fact on You Tube play Silver Dagger live.

Also,  check out Ebony Buckle sing it on You Tube it is from an excerpt from Inspector George Gently episode a few years back she is as beautiful as she sings  to boot. George Gently takes place in the 1960's.  those of us that remember the 60's will find anomalies such as lighting a match with the strike plate in the back of the match pack, they did not change this to the back till mid 70's  I know...I lit full packs of them many time;  probably why they changed it to the back..

Ronald,   everything double spaced when you strike enter

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
5 years ago
1,720 posts

That's a good question, @RonD.  I'm surprised that tune isn't more common in the dulcimer community.

I did find this noter/drone version by Cecil Moody , but the melody seems to be a simplified version that misses out on the more eerie, minor-sounding parts that you here in other versions by Joan Baez or, most recently, Chris Thile .

I also found some lyrics sheets with chords , which are (happily) in the key of D.  I haven't worked through the whole tune yet, but at least the beginning can be played on a dulcimer tuned DAA or DAd.  If you play noter/drone, tune DAA, since the melody begins on that A note for "Don't" and then moves up to E (either 4 on an A string or 1 on a D string) for "songs."

I may work out a version of this tune over the next few days.  If so, I'll post again.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
RonD
RonD
@rond
5 years ago
10 posts

Does anyone know of a recording on line of someone playing silver dagger on the dulcimer

Ronald