one-of-a-kind Sam Rizetta mountain dulcimer

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
4 years ago
1,421 posts

I only know of Mr Rizetta by coming across his name in the dulcimer world.  People sell instruments for a variety of reasons-- to reduce possessions or to raise needed cash being a couple of them.  I hope if Mr Rizetta is selling for the latter reason the instrument fetches a good price.  

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
4 years ago
1,081 posts

I don't think Sam ever sold any of his hammered dulcimers for that much. It is a beautiful instrument. Sam does excellent work. It would have to have a fantastic sound for me to pay that price. I buy and build dulcimers for their sound, not for ornamentation. Who knows, someone may bite on this.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Wendy M
Wendy M
@wendy-m
4 years ago
1 posts

That is a beautiful instrument but, wow, the price! 😄

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
4 years ago
1,724 posts

Thanks, @susie.  I failed to click the "read more" to get the full story. I was wondering about lacewood since I have a lacewood Modern Mountain dulcimer, but portions of that Rizzetta looked like it was glowing a bit more. 

Interesting that the frets are mean-tempered.

Certainly a unique and beautiful-looking dulcimer.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Susie
Susie
@susie
4 years ago
500 posts

Dusty Turtle:

Do you think the wood is koa?  It has that translucent, hypnotic look.

It's lacewood, which is beautiful. A work of art for sure!

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
4 years ago
1,724 posts

Wow, that's a beautiful and unique dulcimer. It looks like the strap button on the lower bout is also a pickup jack, but that placement is kind of weird.  The angle just looks like a strap could come off it pretty easy.  Do you think the wood is koa?  It has that translucent, hypnotic look.

Anyway, if someone wants to buy me that dulcimer for Christmas, I would gladly accept it! Or, if that's too much, just get me one of Bob Stephens nylon-string dulcimers and you can save $7000. See how I'm looking out for your finances? grin

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Nathina
Nathina
@nathina
4 years ago
188 posts

It's beautiful but wow what a price!

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
4 years ago
1,421 posts

I thought it was cool just to see this highly customized dulcimer (which is for sale): 

https://reverb.com/item/37249604-sam-rizzetta-custom-lap-dulcimer