mountain dulcimer at Newport Folk Festival 2022

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
2 years ago
1,729 posts

There was a really nice piece by Lindsay Zoladz in the NY Times on Joni's appearance at Newport, celebrating the bravery of an aging woman who recently suffered an aneurism and had to re-learn how to walk re-interpreting her music with a voice a couple of octaves below the voice that made her famous.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
2 years ago
2,255 posts

Oh, that last line that Joni sang out in the video- "Oh you're a mean old daddy but you're outa sight"....  so wonderful to see that, it made me cry. 

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Ballad Gal
Ballad Gal
@ballad-gal
2 years ago
34 posts

Dusty Turtle:

I saw another video of this set a day or two ago.  Brandi Carlisle does an amazing job singing Joni's songs.  I hope Joni understands the profound love so many of us have for her music.

I agree, Dusty, Brandi did an amazing job of singing Carey. She sounded just like Joni!

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
2 years ago
1,429 posts

Thanks, @dusty-turtle.  I saw the clips you saw, it seems.  Pretty cool.

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
2 years ago
1,729 posts

I don't think so, Robin.  I remember "A Case of You" and "Both Sides Now" and some instrumental Joni played on an electric guitar.  I don't think there was a dulcimer in any of that.

--
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
2 years ago
1,429 posts

@dusty-turtle Was there more mountain dulcimer visible in the video you saw (versus the one I posted below)? 

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
2 years ago
1,729 posts

I saw another video of this set a day or two ago.  Brandi Carlisle does an amazing job singing Joni's songs.  I hope Joni understands the profound love so many of us have for her music.

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
2 years ago
1,429 posts

You'll hear mountain dulcimer long before you'll see it and, no, Joni Mitchell isn't playing it (though she was the big surprise guest at Newport).  

One of the Hanseroth twins (Brandi Carlisle group) opens Carey with mountain dulcimer and you see a quick look at him on dulcimer later in the video.