Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
2 weeks ago
1,096 posts

For Pete Seeger fans, there is a new book out, Pete Seeger with David Bernz Chopping Wood Thoughts & Stories of a Legendary Folksinger. It has a forward by Arlo Guthrie. It is not a biography but as the title says, thoughts and stories. David Bernz, the editor of friend of Seeger's provides some commentary and context.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
2 weeks ago
1,733 posts

The first songs I ever knew were from the Pete Seeger children's albums.  The fact that I still love acoustic music so much is certainly due to his influence. 

I have a photo of his banjo up on my dulcimer wall , and across the room are three framed pictures of record album art from Folkways: one by Pete, one by Woody, and one by Leadbelly.

I didn't know about the memorial. I'll have to make a point to get there next time I'm on the east coast.

Thanks for sharing, Ken.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
2 weeks ago
1,435 posts

Thanks for sharing the photos, Ken!  

Pete Seeger was a man of deep convictions and all his work seems to have sprung from those convictions.  He and Jean were folk musicians who have had lasting influence on the lives and music of so many-- truly, gifts to us all.

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
2 weeks ago
1,096 posts

I was in New Jersey this past weekend and made it a point to stop at the Pete Seeger memorial. It is behind the Puffin Foundation building at 40 Puffin Way and at the entrance to the Teaneck Nature Preserve. Pete is recognized not only for his contributions to folk music, but also for his community activism in cleaning up the nearby Hudson River and other activities. Whether or not you like his politics, no one can deny his positive influence in getting folks to sing and play musical instruments. I think he is one of the most underrated banjo influencers. His book,  How To Play The Five-String Banjo , started many on a lifetime journey. Well, today is the anniversary of his birth so I thought I'd share a photo of the memorial and one of me with Pete. BTW, he did a lot to encourage Jean Ritchie's participation in the folk revival (scare?) of the 1940s, 50s. and 60s.

Memorial

Me and Pete

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

updated by @ken-longfield: 05/03/24 03:10:25PM