K&K pickup versus LR Baggs under saddle pickup.

Jim Phillips
Jim Phillips
@jim-at-gcreek
one month ago
14 posts

Lilley Pad,

I build this dulcimer model that I call the "Peardrop".  The dulcimer pictured is a 6 string that is my own personal instrument.

I also build it as a 4 string.  This model has excellent sustain and resonance has a floating bridge.  I wanted even more sound

when playing in larger rooms , so I equipped the 6 string with the "K & K Twin Spot" pickup that Dusty mentioned.  The two

pickups are mounted right under the ends of the bridge.

The "Twin Spot" delivers a terrific, pure acoustic sound.

Jim Phillips

Pear1.jpg
Pear1.jpg  •  216KB

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
one month ago
1,745 posts

Hi Lilley-Pad,

My favorite dulcimer is one made by Terry McCafferty. It came with a K & K twin spot pickup.  The twin spot has has two heads, and although I don't know how Terry positioned them, the fact that there are two means that you get a more balanced sound.  I can tell you that the dulcimer sounds great amplified, and I also know that Terry worked with Stephen Seifert for a long time testing different pickup possibilities before they decided on the K & K.  Just plugging directly into an amp or DAW provides a very clean, acoustic sound.  I have some other dulcimers with pickups, none of which seem as clean as the K&K, but in some cases I don't even know what they are, so I can't say for sure any of them have an LR Baggs. 

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Lilley Pad
Lilley Pad
@lilley-pad
one month ago
17 posts

I hope I'm not repeating a previous post but I could not find anything under search so here goes. It's just a general question about pickups wanted to get feedback. K&K pickup versus LR Baggs under saddle pickup. the little that I've been reading on the internet suggests that the K&K gives you a more realistic Acoustic sound. Do you guys find that to be true or what's your opinion in general? Thanks again, I hope everybody's doing well. A few months ago they operated on my left hand so now I'm doing finger exercises. I was getting what they call Dupuytren’s, contracture. I guess I'm just getting old. The good news is that everybody else is getting old with me. smile