Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
13 years ago
2,255 posts
There is an A.W. Jeffreys dulcimer for sale right near me, for $175 (without shipping). It's in pretty nice condition- original pegs, diatonic. All walnut with I think a poplar top. I went to look at it. It's nice, but the fretboard is 1/2" high- not high enough for me to play comfortably with my noter. It's a light and graceful thing, I think made in the early 70's. Within 45 min driving distance of Albany NY.

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Ben Barr Jr
Ben Barr Jr
@benjamin-w-barr-jr
13 years ago
64 posts

Thanks for the reply. As I said, there is nothing to indicate the maker of the instrument. I will get my camera out in a couple of days and post a few pictures of this particular dulcimer. That may help to identify it. I also had a case made specifically for this one. I will post more later.

Ben

pristine2
@pristine2
13 years ago
33 posts

I've seen a couple Jeffreys dulcimers without labels, and one (from 1961) where he signed the instrument in pencil on the inside back panel. It's possible that the adhesive on the label in your instrument simply failed and it fell out, but you might take a good look inside with a flashlight.

If it is shaped like a Jeffreys, I doubt it is a copy. I have wondered, though, whether Jeffreys may have also sold kits, like many makers did -- I know he advertised in craft magazines, but I've never seen one of the ads and don't know whether kits were an option.

Not long after my initial post to this thread my computer died, rendering a lot of data unavailable (it was backed up, but the encryption key doesn't work). Unfortunately the address and telephone of Jeffrey's son in Virginia is in that data.It seems to be irretrievable, but the man's name is Jeffreys and I remember he is still living near Staunton. Your post inspires me to track him down.

By the way, Ben Seymour is doing a complete re-fret of a Jeffreys for me. Imagine those sweet plaintive tones of the Jeffreys intoning in equal temperament! Yum.

Richard

Benjamin W Barr Jr said:

I believe that I may have an early model of an A W Jeffreys, Jr. dulcimer. When I purchased it in Houlton, Maine a number of years ago, it came with the booklet that has been mentioned earlier. It is the revised version (1964) that I have. However, the dulcimer is not signed, so it is possible that someone could have made a copy of one of Jeffrey's dulcimers. The description is similar. The action was high, but I had it lowered.

Anyway, I wanted to comment on this thread...after all, it was a search for information on Jeffreys that has led me to this site and I think it is going to be a good place to hang out.

Ben Barr Jr
Ben Barr Jr
@benjamin-w-barr-jr
13 years ago
64 posts

I believe that I may have an early model of an A W Jeffreys, Jr. dulcimer. When I purchased it in Houlton, Maine a number of years ago, it came with the booklet that has been mentioned earlier. It is the revised version (1964) that I have. However, the dulcimer is not signed, so it is possible that someone could have made a copy of one of Jeffrey's dulcimers. The description is similar. The action was high, but I had it lowered.

Anyway, I wanted to comment on this thread...after all, it was a search for information on Jeffreys that has led me to this site and I think it is going to be a good place to hang out.

CD
CD
@cd
15 years ago
61 posts
Thanks!! How do ya reckon a guy can find Jan's address? Mine is no. 2063 and has his initials in it but no date that I can find. I would like to see if she can tell me more. Pristine2 maybe you know more.......CD
pristine2
@pristine2
15 years ago
33 posts
The way my AW Jeffreys sings is the benchmark I use for what a traditional dulcimer should sound like. There's something about that sweet, plaintive cry that I find incredibly seductive.The instrument doesn't intonate well, but it doesn't matter much when I stick to the melody string.I've been researching AW Jeffreys. He was a very significant person in the history of our instrument. I've spoken to his son and hope to arrange a longer interview soon. One of these days I'll wriote a proper article about him.Richard
Stephanie Stuckwisch
Stephanie Stuckwisch
@stephanie-stuckwisch
15 years ago
45 posts
Those old builders knew what they were doing. My old dulcimer looks awfully slender next to my new ones, kinda like Twiggy vs Reubens, but her voice is sweet.Hope you enjoy you "new" one.Stephanie
CD
CD
@cd
15 years ago
61 posts
Back in Wichita now. Leave for Great Bend and Branson on Monday. I too thought walnut but it is such a light color. Anyway it sounds pretty good but the durn thing is so small compared to today's dulcimers. Small but with a big voice.CD Rod Westerfield said:
looks good CD... your getting a connection in KC worked out ok...look forward to hearing and seeing it sometime.. I was also going to say that it looked like walnut... enjoy... a very traditional dulcimer...
Rod Westerfield
Rod Westerfield
@rod-westerfield
15 years ago
109 posts
looks good CD... your getting a connection in KC worked out ok...look forward to hearing and seeing it sometime.. I was also going to say that it looked like walnut... enjoy... a very traditional dulcimer...
CD
CD
@cd
15 years ago
61 posts
Figured lemon oil would do the trick. The string action is a little high to what I am used to but haven't played it much yet to see if that is a problem or not.CD Patrick O'Brien said:
Hey CD
Very nice indeed,could be a twin sister to mine.Hows the string action look?
The back is walnut btw.A little lemon oil will do wonders for the finish.May need some peg dope for the tuners.
CD
CD
@cd
15 years ago
61 posts
Yes that is a dowel out the rear! Strings go on it. Andy Huffman said:
It's nice looking. I will say that. Is that a dowel stick out of the bottom? Like an old banjo? I think Homer Ledford's early dulcimers were also like that. Thought I read that in his book.
CD
CD
@cd
15 years ago
61 posts

Here is my Ebay purchase. Tape mark on back came off very easy. Seems to have really good sound for such a narrow and thin body. Needs new strings badly but has a nice full sound to it even with the dull sounding old strings. Red Cedar top and not sure what sides and back are. Looks like the grain of Walnut but is reddish and light toned in color. Needs cleaned up, new strings, and a little loving attention. I know it is hard to tell much from a picture but would be interested in any thoughts or input before I do anything to it.CD

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
15 years ago
1,429 posts
You're right, CD, it wasn't long ago that a Jeffreys fetched a pretty penny on eBay. I look forward to learning how the story turns out!
CD
CD
@cd
15 years ago
61 posts
Well it happened one night in downtown KC, MO. I was sittin' in the bus and noticed there were wireless connections available. I got online and was lookin' around. Ya see that ole dulcimer just popped out at me. I was curious so I decided to put in a bid on it. I Bid $105 maximum and it went for $103. Not in pristine condition and I knew that going in but I sure didn't expect to get it for what I got it for. I'll probably refinish it, but, can only decide that when I see it. May have just thrown a $103 away but I just don't seem to think so. It looks like it suffers from sittin' in a closet way to long. I figured it would probably go about $150 but some have sold for $400 To $500 recently as well in not much better condition. Let ya know more when i get it.CD
Rod Westerfield
Rod Westerfield
@rod-westerfield
15 years ago
109 posts
ok... hmmm picked one up accidentally... what it jump on your bus.... :) :) :) or maybe was laying in the road.. tell us the story CD..
CD
CD
@cd
15 years ago
61 posts
I just pick one up accidentally.CD
CD
CD
@cd
15 years ago
61 posts
Is A W Jeffreys Jr. the same person as A W Jefferys and what would dulcimers he made in the 60's be worth today?CD
updated by @cd: 08/01/23 11:49:31AM

/ 2