21 3/4 VSL Dulcimer, strings?

David Pedersen
David Pedersen
@david-pedersen
9 years ago
32 posts
Thank you all for the comments. Very helpful.
Colleen Hailey
Colleen Hailey
@colleen-hailey
9 years ago
67 posts

Not sure if this helps--I have a 22" VSL travel dulcimer tuned DAD--its strings are:0.026", 0.018", and 0.014.

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
9 years ago
2,123 posts

If the action is reasonable and it tunes /plays DAd OK, it should be just fine, unless there are structural problems. Post a picture. The only other factor is how you intend to teach her/she intends to play. That short of VSL has pretty small spaces between some of the frets, especially higher up, and might be hard for someone with bigger fingers to fret in Chord-Melody style

David Pedersen
David Pedersen
@david-pedersen
9 years ago
32 posts

Thanks Ken, Don't know why I did'nt see this, been there from this site. Your reminder will stay with me for awhile. I will save this site.

Not sure about this Dulcimer, me being fairly new am suggesting she find a at least a student Dulcimer.

Skip
Skip
@skip
9 years ago
359 posts

If the bass string is .012-13. It may be set up as all strings the same size, dddd. which is also compatible with DAdd.

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
9 years ago
2,123 posts

String gauges are always dependent on two things -- the VSL, which you've given us, and the desired tuning --- DAd which you've also given us. You then use a string gauge calculator, like the one at http://www.strothers.com/string_choice.htm

Plugging in the numbers you get:

D Bass String = 24 (wound)

A Middle Drone = 16

d Melody string = 12

And those gauges should be usable for nearly all of the D tunings.

David Pedersen
David Pedersen
@david-pedersen
9 years ago
32 posts

My friend just got this Dulcimer. Need to replace the strings. They are very small, their bass string looks to be about 012,just a guess. What size recommended and what tuning. Hopefully compatible with me at Dad. Any other thoughts would be great. Like I said its small with 21 3/4" VSL.

Thanks

Dave

updated by @david-pedersen: 06/08/16 09:24:05PM