marg
@marg
7 years ago
615 posts

I was able to make contact with some folks that knew Robert, they were kind enough to respond. Dulcimer people are great.

Below is what I found out:

" I knew Bob (Robert) LaFever on a casual basis. He had a shop at the Folk Center in the 1990s. I worked next door. He made some high quality dulcimers when he could. Although a lot were budget models, in order to make and sell quickly  to tourists at the park." 

Oh well, I wish him well & do thank you all very much. Dulcimer people are great, no matter where we are on FB, or where we are living.

One of the kind dulcimer folks I was able to speak with is Robert or Bob Momich, who was at the Folk Center in the 80's. He hasn't made any dulcimers in years but is hoping to get back to it, he says he has enough parts to make maybe 200. He was so interesting speaking with him, I hope he does start making dulcimers again. He moved away from Mt. View, ARK & is on the East coast now.

updated by @marg: 07/24/17 07:26:08PM
marg
@marg
7 years ago
615 posts

Thanks joe, 

Interesting using only hand tools, I hope the one I am looking at is this Bob

joe sanguinette
joe sanguinette
@joe-sanguinette
7 years ago
73 posts

they were well made however they were made the old way using hand tools.  his main job was demonstrating how it was.

marg
@marg
7 years ago
615 posts

joe,

Do you remember what you thought of his dulcimers, if they were made well? Strange someone can make something for some years, yet google the name & nothing. 

joe sanguinette
joe sanguinette
@joe-sanguinette
7 years ago
73 posts

i remember the dulcimer builder that i knew as bob around that time.  i'm sure his instruments were for sale.  he

built dulcimers on special order.  he once gave me the most beautiful piece of butternut i've ever seen

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
7 years ago
2,111 posts

The answers to your questions are 

Maybe

Probably

marg
@marg
7 years ago
615 posts

Has anyone ever hear of Robert LeFever? He made dulcimers for the Ozark Folk Center back in the 90's. No one there knows anything before 2000, they carried McSpaddens till 2006 but do not carry any dulcimers now. LeFever was also a member of the Ark. Graft Guild.

Questions:

If Robert sold his dulcimers out of the Folk Center, would his dulcimer quality be as we would expect?

If Robert was a member of the Graft Guild wouldn't his instruments be well made?

Any thoughts?

No photos at this point