Would like info on my new to me dulcimer.

Gennaro
Gennaro
@gennaro
4 years ago
19 posts

I'm sure I'll be trying a variety of styles. I am going to grow my nails. I am currently trying just a thumb pick to get a better strum. My thumb nail works for picking, but I'm not satisfied with the muted strum my thumb provides.I have moved to the hollow  when finger picking, as suggested. Not so much, flat picking. I'll be having a work shop soon for Twinkle Twinkle. lol

Ferrator
Ferrator
@ferrator
4 years ago
37 posts

~L~ Yeah, I saw that! No worries, I think a lot of us feel the same. When there is a real passion for playing, both the music and the instrument, there is always something new to learn...and a lot of practice.

Make sure to join and the Fingerpicking group/forum. Lot's of good people there. Just 'cause y'all don't JUST fingerpick! ~L~. Grow your nails or don't. How far up or down the fret board do you play?

Lot's of good people at FOTMD. This is one great site.

Gennaro
Gennaro
@gennaro
4 years ago
19 posts

Ferrator:

I have to admit to a bit of a bias. I was initially taught to play by fingerpicking. It is all I do. But then, I lack some of the needed coordination to use a pick. That and toe tapping for time keeping.

~L~ None of it matters when the instrument is sweet and the desire is 'there', eh?

I spent 7 years practicing guitar ( notice I didn't say playing). I flat picked the whole time so it feels natural. I just always wanted to try finger picking and figured since I'm just starting, why not. 

Gennaro
Gennaro
@gennaro
4 years ago
19 posts

Salt Springs:

John Calkin has a facebook page noted as JohnCalkin.92.  The guitars that Huss & Dalton build cost about 4 grand, so I would venture to say that John is a top notch builder of acoustic instruments.  Drop him a note on facebook if you wish.....

Thanks. I'm definitely going to look him up.

Steven Berger
Steven Berger
@steven-berger
4 years ago
143 posts

A beautiful and unusual looking dulcimer, Gennaro! Congratulations! yes

Salt Springs
Salt Springs
@salt-springs
4 years ago
207 posts

John Calkin has a facebook page noted as JohnCalkin.92.  The guitars that Huss & Dalton build cost about 4 grand, so I would venture to say that John is a top notch builder of acoustic instruments.  Drop him a note on facebook if you wish.....

Ferrator
Ferrator
@ferrator
4 years ago
37 posts

I have to admit to a bit of a bias. I was initially taught to play by fingerpicking. It is all I do. But then, I lack some of the needed coordination to use a pick. That and toe tapping for time keeping.

~L~ None of it matters when the instrument is sweet and the desire is 'there', eh?

Gennaro
Gennaro
@gennaro
4 years ago
19 posts

Thanks guys. To my untrained ear it sounds great. The pic doesn't do it justice. Walnut body with cherry fret board. 

Ferrator
Ferrator
@ferrator
4 years ago
37 posts

I have to echo the others. That is one nice looking dulcimer! I really like the carving work in the strum hollow.

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
4 years ago
1,084 posts

Like KenH, I've never heard of him and agree that you have a very nice looking dulcimer. Working for Huss and Dalton he should have good experience in instrument building.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
4 years ago
2,124 posts

Never heard of the man, but that's a fine looking dulcimer, certainly.  Hopefully it sounds as good as it looks!

Gennaro
Gennaro
@gennaro
4 years ago
19 posts

Just bought a used dulcimer. Made by John Calkin in 1985. Marked as #50, so hopefully he had it down by then. Can find very little about him, other than a few articles he's written. Also it seems that he currently works as a luthier for Huss and Dalton guitar company. Just wondering if John has any kind of reputation in this community.

IMG_1890[1].JPG
IMG_1890[1].JPG  •  305KB