Beer Bottle Bridge/Glass Resonator

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
4 years ago
2,248 posts

I'd love to hear that too!  Can you post a quick video demo here in the discussion maybe?

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
4 years ago
1,415 posts

I'd love to hear you play your diddley bow, @natebuildstoys! 

Steven Berger
Steven Berger
@steven-berger
4 years ago
143 posts

That diddley bow you're playing looks pretty cool...what's the slide you're using? I'd like to hear you playing it! I wonder how it would sound played with a bow? I've never thought about a glass dulcimer, but I sometimes think about one made of brass or steel, like the National guitars.

NateBuildsToys
NateBuildsToys
@nate
4 years ago
238 posts

The first instrument I ever built was a diddley bow. If you dont know its just a string stretched over a glass bottle laying on its side, which acts as a resonator chamber. I have attached a picture. I always thought it sounded very neat, jangly, and old timey. I have conceptualized a prototype and am whipping it up right now for a wooden dulcimer with a glass beer bottle for a bridge. I have also attached an image of some concept drawings for how it will work, and will post a video when it is totally assembled. What do y'all think? I find it very puzzling that so few string instruments use glass resonators, probably because they would be less durable, but most players take exceptionally good care of their dulcimers anyway. Has anyone ever seen a glass dulcimer? Ever tried building one?

20200521_081501.jpg
20200521_081501.jpg  •  94KB

updated by @nate: 08/04/20 04:48:34AM