Blair fret compare - original Jumbos! installed on a dare?

NateBuildsToys
NateBuildsToys
@nate
4 years ago
247 posts

I like very low and narrow mandolin frets because i think they make less noise when i slide across them. My dulcimer is chromatic so the 'thumping' of the frets is something I try to mitigate. I have heard it said that pressing too hard on strings makes them bend and stretch inconsistently and can affect tone, so I would imagine taller frets do this even more? Definitely gonna try them on my next dulcimer to see how they feel.

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
4 years ago
1,727 posts

I know a few luthiers who have started either using jumbo frets or offering them as an upgrade. I know Aaron O'Rourke loves them. According to him, the bigger frets enable you to get notes without pushing your fingers all the way down to the wood so you can play faster.  To be honest, I don't think the size of the fret is what slows me down!

My guess is that @ken-hulme didn't like them because he plays with a noter, and the jumbo frets probably just get in the way as you slide the noter up and down the fretboard.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
4 years ago
2,124 posts

I used Jumbo frets a few times, didn't ca re fo r them

andyh
andyh
@andy-hullinger
4 years ago
1 posts

Curious to know if anyone has "Jumbo" frets on their dulcimers?

I've found this Jan. '93 Mark Blair Dulcimer #637 (missing the nut) and in the process of getting it back in playing shape.

It has HUGE ! frets  - . 105w close to Dunlop 6130/6140 - especially compared to my '85 McSpadden with classic "mandolin" style wire 0.80w 0.39h

A label reads "Custom Built for Lindsay Ruth Harris" perhaps this was a custom request. Oddly? this was strung with an old, rusty set of 10-10-20 very light strings!

jumbofrets.jpg