Nathina
Nathina
@nathina
4 years ago
188 posts

I always found outgoing strum easier than a back strum. 

traildad
@traildad
4 years ago
89 posts
Ok thanks. Its my new dulcimer and I'm not sure what size they are. It just seems more difficult to do the strum and I've been wondering about it. Maybe I'll try doing it in DAd and see if that makes a difference.
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
4 years ago
2,248 posts

Shouldn't be a problem on such a long scale. If they feel loose to you then put on a slightly heavier string, say a .012 instead of .010.

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
traildad
@traildad
4 years ago
89 posts
I wonder if that is why I'm having difficulty with my latest song in DAa. I'm having trouble with my in/out strumming. Maybe the melody strings are too loose. Its a 28.5 vsl.
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
4 years ago
2,248 posts

traildad:

If a 28 1/2 VSL led to broken strings tuning up to E, what is the down side to just using the 26 1/2 VSL?

The down side would be if you are tuning your strings back and forth on your melody string between a low G and the high E frequently, you will stress the string and break it more frequently than if you keep two dulcimers (for C/D and G/A). Also a melody string tuned down to G on a 26" vsl may be a little saggy feeling. You don't want loose tension especially on the melody string for playing the melody.

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
traildad
@traildad
4 years ago
89 posts

I was reading the Mountain Dulcimer Noter and Drone blog. @Strumelia suggested getting two different VSL dulcimers for playing in different keys. 28 1/2 for D or C and 26 1/2 for A or G. If a 28 1/2 VSL led to broken strings tuning up to E, what is the down side to just using the 26 1/2 VSL? I can understand using two dulcimers with different string gauges for different tunings. I've read that a shorter VSL helps for chording, especially with smaller hands. I've also read that VSL is not so important for noter drone style. I've observed that VSL and the overall size of the dulcimer can make a difference in tone. I'd like to learn more about choosing a VSL for a noter drone dulcimer and the pros and cons of different VSLs in general.